I was visiting with a friend today who has a few skinks about 2 months old. As the one skink kept breathing out there would be a pop sound. It was so lound that I was siting outside the cage and can hear it. He won't take it to the bet because of the fear of a vet bill being too expensive. I feel bad for the skink. Any ideas on what the problem is, or good home treatment? Thanks.
I'm actually willing to take it of he doesn't care for it the proper way.
Cracking/poping sound.
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
mjk19
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: USA Pennsylvania
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Cracking/poping sound.
A loud popping sound might possibly be a sign of an upper respiratory infection, although I don't think those sounds tend to be super loud.
Sometimes there's nothing you can do when friends aren't taking care of their pets. Just educate them, and admonish them to start up a savings account for vet costs.
If you feel that bad you could offer to pay for the vet visit. But if that's not acceptable either then advice them to raise the temperatures a little bit, give the skink a chance to heal himself if there is something brewing.
Sometimes there's nothing you can do when friends aren't taking care of their pets. Just educate them, and admonish them to start up a savings account for vet costs.
If you feel that bad you could offer to pay for the vet visit. But if that's not acceptable either then advice them to raise the temperatures a little bit, give the skink a chance to heal himself if there is something brewing.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Cracking/poping sound.
I posted something similar in another recent post...
I had recent issues with my skink, that sound similar. Obviously, I'm not a vet, nor am I very experianced with blue tongue skinks, but I'll try to give you a bit of advice. If the noise continues, consulting with a vet wouldn't be a bad idea.
Make sure the temps are correct. When Juno was making bizzare popping sounds I double checked the basking temps and realized that the temps could be raised, so I did that. It helped, and now she rarely ever makes that noise. I also took her to the vet, and he said it could be an RI, but he didn't think so, but then again, the vet was kind of...well, just maybe not the brightest bulb in the box to put it lightly. So check the temps (or get your friend to) and make sure that he/she is warm enough.
Good luck with everything, and again, that's just what I did, but I would take the other member's advice before mine
I had recent issues with my skink, that sound similar. Obviously, I'm not a vet, nor am I very experianced with blue tongue skinks, but I'll try to give you a bit of advice. If the noise continues, consulting with a vet wouldn't be a bad idea.
Make sure the temps are correct. When Juno was making bizzare popping sounds I double checked the basking temps and realized that the temps could be raised, so I did that. It helped, and now she rarely ever makes that noise. I also took her to the vet, and he said it could be an RI, but he didn't think so, but then again, the vet was kind of...well, just maybe not the brightest bulb in the box to put it lightly. So check the temps (or get your friend to) and make sure that he/she is warm enough.
Good luck with everything, and again, that's just what I did, but I would take the other member's advice before mine
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Cracking/poping sound.
Just going to add that im sorry to say, but owning a pet... any pet... means taking it to the vet no matter what, if there is something wrong. like someone else said, most places do accounts. But someone shouldn't own ANY pets if they arent willing to take them to the vet if need be. I hope the skink is ok and that its nothing serious xx
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Cracking/poping sound.
I hope your friend takes it to the vet...I agree with Rani-May...If you cant or wont take a pet to the vet...you should NOT own pets. Its cruel, selfish, and neglectful.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 212 guests
