Choosing A Reptile Vet

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Emz3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Colorado, US

Choosing A Reptile Vet

Postby Emz3 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:48 pm

So, after having my BTS for a few months I'm finally taking them in for an exam, fecal and bloodwork. I've wanted to take them in for a check-up for a while but cost is somewhat an issue and they've appeared healthy and normal. Now that they are starting to slow down during the cooler months, I thought it was best to take them in for a wellness exam prior to brumation (if they do end up brumating), plus Stubbs has something going on with his mouth.

So, how do I know I have, not just a good herp vet, but a good blue tongued skink vet? I've been extremely picky for my dogs and my lovebird and I expect the same level of care for my BTS. I noticed that somebody had recommended Goldenview Veterinary Hospital in Colorado, which is where I take my bird. They've been wonderful with my bird but, they are expensive and I was a little concerned that they didn't even know that BTS brumate. They also said they only have 2 clients that have BTS. This means they don't see them that often.

So, because of price and some potential lack of experience, I decided to make an appointment with a friend of mine who is a vet. He is the Veterinarian that volunteers his time with the Birds of Prey Foundation (where I volunteer) and he has been a zoo vet for years and has taken care of BTS at zoos over the years. He also was the president of the Reptile and Amphibian Society (or something like that.) Now, all of that is good and dandy, but he too didn't know that they brumate either, he also said the 2 BTS are fine housed together if given enough room and hides and basking spots. (Which is opposite of what I hear on here all the time.)

So anyway, I'm confused. I think I'm over thinking this! I just want to do right by these guys! They deserve it! Do you all have anything you look for in a BTS vet when doing your research? Is there a reason I should go with Goldenview over my Vet friend? (If any BTS owners have had experience with Goldenview, I would like to know!

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Crazy BTS Owner :kw:
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Choosing A Reptile Vet

Postby Jeff » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm

The only way to figure out if a vet knows anything about BTS is to talk to them. Just ask them if they have any experience. We have a recommended vet list here that lists 3 vets in Colorado, but honestly, these are just vets that have been recommended by one person in most cases. It is a place to start though. If none of these are close to you, you might give them a call and ask if they can recommend anyone in your area. Good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15381
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Emz3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Colorado, US

Re: Choosing A Reptile Vet

Postby Emz3 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I do know about the vet list. And one of the vets on the list does come highly recommended as a reptile vet in the area, and this is the same vet I take my bird to, (Goldenview Veterinary Hospital) so I know they are great, at least with birds. If I'm being honest, the only reason I decided to go somewhere else is cost and distance. I also kind of wanted to give my friend a try since he is closer. I do believe in the saying, "You get what you pay for." So depending on how my friend does with them tomorrow I may end back up at my highly recommended, but more expensive vet. I worked in small animal veterinary hospital for 8 years. It took me 3 different vets to find a good one for my bird. I guess I don't want to make the same mistakes with the skinks. I'm still a novice when it comes to reptiles! ...thanks I'm over thinking this...
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Choosing A Reptile Vet

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Almost any vet can manage fecals and basic tests. So even a vet who doesn't know tons about BTS can be helpful. Just don't expect them to be an expert, be willing to agree to disagree, and use them for the experience and knowledge they do have :)
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Choosing A Reptile Vet

Postby El Lobo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm

If your friend has experience as a zoo vet he would be a good option, particularly if he is a Certified ZooMed practitioner. Otherwise, my leaning would be towards a vet specialising in avian medicine because reptile physiology is much closed to birds than cats or dogs.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Choosing A Reptile Vet

Postby Spindown » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Try contacting your local herp group (if one exists). I'd also recommend you make the vet that you choose do everything in front of you that he can (ie like taking poo samples or blood etc). If they resist, that usually shoots up red flags for me, esp. since our "exotics" vet that we went through in the past took my Northern away to get a sample, and he was in pain from severely inflamed hemipenes for 2 weeks afterwards. If I could have seen what she was doing, I would have been able to stop her.

My new vet is willing to show me what she's doing, why shes doing it, and is widely acclaimed to be one of the best herp vets by everyone I've ever talked to. I just wish she wasnt an hour and half drive from me! However, its totally worth it, to know my critters (and my sanity) are in good hands. She also sees multiple animals in one visit, so it makes my trips up there very worthwhile.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 227 guests