So, Over the last couple weeks I have noticed Stubbs and Elouise slowing down. They are hiding almost all of the time (Which isn't completely unusual). However, they are also eating less (Very unusual). Before, they would eat an entire saucer plate of food once a week, now they are eating about 1/4 of a plate. I really didn't want them to Brumate, primarily because I don't know what I'm doing. However, now I'm thinking I may not have a choice! The coldest their enclosure gets is mid 70's (F) and that's at night, but they have obviously figured out what is happening outside!
I've read through some other posts and the FAQ's about Brumation. I have no plan to breed them, so my main question is:
Can I continue to leave the temperatures the way I have them, as long as I offer them food along with their water throughout winter?
Also, how will I know when they are truly brumating? The FAQ said they don't usually start until November/ December, so are my guys slowing down early?
I just really don't want to "F" anything up with them. I'm torn on what to do. (Keep temps the same/ lower them) I also put a call into my herp vet to see what they recommend, but I think they have more experience with tortoises.
Thanks in advance for your help! I know this has been a common topic on here lately!
First Cold Season With my BTS: Brumation
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: First Cold Season With my BTS: Brumation
First no need to be worrying. Just maintain temps and continue to feed and water. The skinks will do the rest
Brad
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 207 guests
