Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Are BTS's shoulder lizards? I ask this because I'm not having much luck trying to get
mine to stay up toward the back of my neck so I can walk around my apartment
with him. Has anyone had any luck with this? Any other ideas how to transport the
lizard along with me? Maybe I could put him in a backpack with the zipper open but
not all the way, only the top so he can peek out. Does this sound safe?
mine to stay up toward the back of my neck so I can walk around my apartment
with him. Has anyone had any luck with this? Any other ideas how to transport the
lizard along with me? Maybe I could put him in a backpack with the zipper open but
not all the way, only the top so he can peek out. Does this sound safe?
- Rhianimal
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
I don't think that's a great idea. They're not naturally prone to climbing, and while they certainly can climb and grip things, they're really not suited to it. Trying to picture doing that with my full grown skink and I imagine he'd be unhappy. They're not perching animals.
I carry my skink with both arms (skink lays across one forearm, braced with another hand and arm). This lets him have solid footing underneath his whole body and he remains calm. Great for times I need to move him from point A to point B and handle him. If the skink doesn't need to be moved and handled, I let him go into the kangaroo pouch on a hoodie. He seems to really like hanging out in the hoodie pouch and poking his head out. it's warm, dark, and secure.
Is there any reason you need to move your skink around the apartment often?
I carry my skink with both arms (skink lays across one forearm, braced with another hand and arm). This lets him have solid footing underneath his whole body and he remains calm. Great for times I need to move him from point A to point B and handle him. If the skink doesn't need to be moved and handled, I let him go into the kangaroo pouch on a hoodie. He seems to really like hanging out in the hoodie pouch and poking his head out. it's warm, dark, and secure.
Is there any reason you need to move your skink around the apartment often?
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
NO! Never! They are not height-smart, do not have good grip, and a fall can cause major damage or death. Always, always, always hold your BTS securely. If it's on your shoulder, one hand should always be on it to keep it from falling. Even skinks that have always been okay will suddenly get the urge to skydive. We've see some awful posts of lizards with broken limbs or backs after falling off someone tries having a shoulder-skink.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Never, please. BTS are not arboreal and on top of that have tiny weak legs that WON'T hold their body secured if they start to fall or slide off. Many people have dropped their bts this way and it can seriously hurt them (ie. broken bones, internal damage, etc)
Always carry them in front of you so their body is along your forearm and your other hand on top of them, against your body so they can't fall and will feel secure. Or hold with body hands supporting the front and back legs as well as the tail. Ways like this are MUCH safer.
If you want a perching lizard, I'd recommend something arboreal, more like a gargoyle gecko, crested gecko, etc. My gargoyle will sit on my shoulder and wrap her tail around my necklace. She has padded feet and little talons to be able to hold her self low and secure so she won't slip off of me.
Always carry them in front of you so their body is along your forearm and your other hand on top of them, against your body so they can't fall and will feel secure. Or hold with body hands supporting the front and back legs as well as the tail. Ways like this are MUCH safer.
If you want a perching lizard, I'd recommend something arboreal, more like a gargoyle gecko, crested gecko, etc. My gargoyle will sit on my shoulder and wrap her tail around my necklace. She has padded feet and little talons to be able to hold her self low and secure so she won't slip off of me.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Thanks for the info. The last thing I want to do is hurt my skink.
I wanted to carry him around while I did some cleaning and things
but now I realize it's not such a good idea.
I wanted to carry him around while I did some cleaning and things
but now I realize it's not such a good idea.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Create a skink-safe area (I use my bathroom because there's no escapes), add some tubes and towels, and let him play around while you clean
It makes outings fun for the skink, and keeps them safe.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
The only time mine go on my shoulder is when im already laying down and they sleep there so they wont fall. they have tiny little feet and tiny legs so its hard for them to stay up if its a rough ride. Not shoulder lizards at all
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Fatal_S wrote:Create a skink-safe area (I use my bathroom because there's no escapes), add some tubes and towels, and let him play around while you cleanIt makes outings fun for the skink, and keeps them safe.
Good Idea, I think I'll try this!
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
When my skink was smaller I used to get a big hoodie sweatshirt and put him in the front pouch, he would just sit in there as I walked around.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
LarissaLurid wrote:When my skink was smaller I used to get a big hoodie sweatshirt and put him in the front pouch, he would just sit in there as I walked around.
I like this idea too!!!
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
I used to do that all the time. Then I was washing my hands and skids walked right out of the pouch and hit the floor -.-' Thankfully, he wasn't hurt and didn't have any brains to scramble. I still use the hoodie pocket, I'm just a lot more careful about making sure they're not getting out.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Skids,lol,licky he didnt leave skiddies in your pocket mel,lol
Dont ask,but yes have had that experience before,lol
I dont think many lizards are shoulder lizards,some like blueys arent super agile and can easily fall off,other could easily decide to lay the bolt,even beardies,some may think your ear looks like food
Dont ask,but yes have had that experience before,lol
I dont think many lizards are shoulder lizards,some like blueys arent super agile and can easily fall off,other could easily decide to lay the bolt,even beardies,some may think your ear looks like food
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
For the record, my favorite way of bonding with Misha kind of involves her being on my shoulder, sometimes. However, I am always seated.
I actually wear a pull-over hoodie, backwards. I place her in the hood, and she will do one of three things.... she will fall asleep, 'explore', climbing up to my neck and shoulder (usually snuggling up to my neck and falling asleep there instead... change of scenery I guess), or climb out/look out. Option three usually ends up with her trying to do some sweet dps on my monk, which she generally fails at. Sitting on one key is not how you dps, Misha!
But again, this is all while sitting down at the computer. If I walk around, I keep her in my hood also, but keep an eye on her and a hand at most times.
I actually wear a pull-over hoodie, backwards. I place her in the hood, and she will do one of three things.... she will fall asleep, 'explore', climbing up to my neck and shoulder (usually snuggling up to my neck and falling asleep there instead... change of scenery I guess), or climb out/look out. Option three usually ends up with her trying to do some sweet dps on my monk, which she generally fails at. Sitting on one key is not how you dps, Misha!
But again, this is all while sitting down at the computer. If I walk around, I keep her in my hood also, but keep an eye on her and a hand at most times.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Fatal_S wrote:I used to do that all the time. Then I was washing my hands and skids walked right out of the pouch and hit the floor -.-' Thankfully, he wasn't hurt and didn't have any brains to scramble. I still use the hoodie pocket, I'm just a lot more careful about making sure they're not getting out.
Yea definitely keep an eye on if they are trying to crawl out!
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
tylociraptor wrote:For the record, my favorite way of bonding with Misha kind of involves her being on my shoulder, sometimes. However, I am always seated.
I actually wear a pull-over hoodie, backwards. I place her in the hood, and she will do one of three things.... she will fall asleep, 'explore', climbing up to my neck and shoulder (usually snuggling up to my neck and falling asleep there instead... change of scenery I guess), or climb out/look out. Option three usually ends up with her trying to do some sweet dps on my monk, which she generally fails at. Sitting on one key is not how you dps, Misha!
But again, this is all while sitting down at the computer. If I walk around, I keep her in my hood also, but keep an eye on her and a hand at most times.
Good idea, I may give this a try! Thanks!
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
If u do let them crawl on you,just keep a hand on them to support them,saves the worry of them falling then,they like to explore alot,hence when u put them on you they climb to the shoulder
Alot i keep outdoors actually climb up logs and rockpiles i have for other species in the cage,its rare theres not a few blueys right up the top basking with waterdragons and cunningham skinks,but its amusing watching them move about,as they look like a fish out of water compared to there agile cage mates,lol
Alot i keep outdoors actually climb up logs and rockpiles i have for other species in the cage,its rare theres not a few blueys right up the top basking with waterdragons and cunningham skinks,but its amusing watching them move about,as they look like a fish out of water compared to there agile cage mates,lol
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Are BTS's Shoulder Lizards?
Mine always try and run up my hair onto my head...I dont let them do that as they could fall (or poop on my head), but if they get up there (they can be QUICK) I get them down ASAP.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 192 guests
