Disinfecting Slate

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
dry
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 pm
Country:
Location: United States

Disinfecting Slate

Postby dry » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi I have some slate outside in my yard, and I was wondering how do you disinfect it, if you want to put it in your enclosure?
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Disinfecting Slate

Postby Lea » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 pm

Just warm and soapy water, scrub if it's really dirty, but that will be plenty to get it clean enough. Just make sure you wash off the soap residue well and you are good to go.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Disinfecting Slate

Postby Coomassie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:34 am

I haven't picked any up from outside but I've hear baking or boiling does a pretty good job. Like Lea said soapy water, just make sure you get all the soap off before you put it in the enclosure.
Cay T.
User avatar
ashnic05
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm
Country:
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Disinfecting Slate

Postby ashnic05 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 pm

I suggest boiling it. You wan't to get all the dirt off (obviously) but you also want to make sure there's no pathogens and/or unwanted bacteria going into your bts nice enclosure.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Disinfecting Slate

Postby El Lobo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm

After washing in hot soapy water and let dry I spray with F10SC 1:250 solution and let dry for 15 minutes. F10 will kill 99% of all bacteria/pathogens.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Joey1983
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am
Country:
Location: New York City

Re: Disinfecting Slate

Postby Joey1983 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:12 am

Also.. You can BAKE it in the oven for 30mins at 325deg. That will kill any bugs/eggs inside the pour of the stone. I would wash and scrub the slate first then bake it. Be careful when you take it out (obviously) and let it cool down.

I even bake my substrate before I use it just to be safe.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 185 guests