sex and species please

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
sarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm
Country:
Location: Indiana

sex and species please

Postby sarah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:16 pm

What do you think? The man I bought her from stated it's a female IJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
justyna.ewa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 am
Country:
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada

Re: sex and species please

Postby justyna.ewa » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Looks a bit wide for a male, so probably a female. But IJ... I don't know about that... Looks like a Merauke to me, but I could be very wrong. IJs are usually a bit more bright, more orange.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: sex and species please

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:47 pm

IMO Male Merauke
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
justyna.ewa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 am
Country:
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada

Re: sex and species please

Postby justyna.ewa » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:IMO Male Merauke

I'm curious - what makes you say male?
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: sex and species please

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:01 pm

It appears to be flattening out it's body, so it would be a little bit on the slimmer side. I also think I see hemi-penal bulges at the base of the tail.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: sex and species please

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Looks meurake,definatly not ij,as to sex hard to say,i cant see pronounced buldging,pics not best angle to see,what blueys above it in the pic?
sarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm
Country:
Location: Indiana

Re: sex and species please

Postby sarah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 pm

The skink above is my male Ij.Is there a better angle pic I could post to help determin sex?
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: sex and species please

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:37 pm

It's not an IJ it is a Merauke.
And if you say it is a male, why ask the sex?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
sarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm
Country:
Location: Indiana

Re: sex and species please

Postby sarah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm

I am unsure of the sex of this skink,When I said male I was takling to Richard C who asked who is the skink above in pic.
splat868
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am
Country:

Re: sex and species please

Postby splat868 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:36 am

Sexing by head shape is very hit and miss, as are most methods of visual sexing from a photo.

Having said that, if head shape were the only thing to go by, I would guess at a male also.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: sex and species please

Postby Richard.C » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Ml,theres a bit of another bluey showing at top of pic,thats the male,meurakes im not sure head size is reliable in sexing,tail buldging seems more reliable,sarah maybe a birds eye pic of tail base and a 45 degree angle shot to ser if buldging is evident may help,sometimes there just plain hard to sex,especially from pics,but even in person
User avatar
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Re: sex and species please

Postby Vegasarah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:21 pm

So I have a question now... If the other one is for sure a male, and they do not react to each other, would it be safe to say it is also a male? I thought that if it was a female and they where introduced there might be some mating behavior? Or is that only if it is 'the season' right after burmation? Always looking to learn! :)
User avatar
Toxique
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: sex and species please

Postby Toxique » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Welp, I wouldn't be introducing two skinks regardless of male/male, female/female, or male/female. They're not the best social animals and gender really only plays a part (from what I understand) during mating. And even during mating they have to be watched because they can take chunks out of each other!

Have you seen any poops from the skink? Sometimes males will leave sperm plugs behind )which look like milky white bulbs with trailing bits after them) when they go. I often get these when I give morti a bath, as its always then that he decides the need to go.

But I agree, the bands look to slim to be an IJ and the legs a bit to dark. My morti has spotty legs and thicker bands, he's confirmed IJ.
1.0.0 Mortimer, Irian Jaya BTS
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: sex and species please

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Vegasarah wrote:So I have a question now... If the other one is for sure a male, and they do not react to each other, would it be safe to say it is also a male? I thought that if it was a female and they where introduced there might be some mating behavior? Or is that only if it is 'the season' right after burmation? Always looking to learn! :)

Just because you put two skinks of different sexes together it doesn't mean they are going to mate.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS4gJR9ce_g
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Re: sex and species please

Postby Vegasarah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:31 pm

I didn't say they are going to mate... I was merely suggesting that you could possibly find out the sex through their behavior. Which is what is outlined on the care sheet on the main site as a good way to find out the sex of a skink. So sorry if that somehow made you think that I was an idiot or something...

Example: If they met and the new skink twitched her tail at the male or something you might guess that it's a female.

Again, I understand that its not 100% proof, as no opinion we can give through the internet/ through pictures would be.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: sex and species please

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Vegasarah wrote:I didn't say they are going to mate... I was merely suggesting that you could possibly find out the sex through their behavior. Which is what is outlined on the care sheet on the main site as a good way to find out the sex of a skink.

Yes that could happen, but doesn't always. Like in the video I showed you, two skinks of the same sex could act normal around each other. But they could make sexual advances upon each other.
Example: If they met and the new skink twitched her tail at the male or something you might guess that it's a female.

I think I've seen that with both breeding and defensive(fighting) behavior so I wouldn't use that to determine much except for that it' about to do something. :lol:
So sorry if that somehow made you think that I was an idiot or something...

I never said that.
I said it won't make them mate, and showed a video of that.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: sex and species please

Postby Richard.C » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Males can tail wiggle at other males,they can also get on well with other males,and sometimes females can be the aggressor and chase males around,behaviours can give clues but never 100 percent,ideally its best to introduce at mating time to go off behaviours
User avatar
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Re: sex and species please

Postby Vegasarah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Richard.C wrote:Males can tail wiggle at other males,they can also get on well with other males,and sometimes females can be the aggressor and chase males around,behaviours can give clues but never 100 percent,ideally its best to introduce at mating time to go off behaviours


Thanks for that great info, Richard! I appreciate you helping explain that type of behavior to me :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 177 guests