Confused on brumation...
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Oosie505
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 14
- Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:43 pm
- Country:
- Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Confused on brumation...
SO, I know brumation is often utilized for breeding purposes, and there are ways to induce it (lowering temps, refraining from feeding as much, etc.), but what I'm confused on...is will a skink automatically start to brumate due to instincts, despite proper temps and a consistent feeding schedule? Can and should you try and stop them if they start?
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Confused on brumation...
Thank you for asking this question!
I was also wondering the same exact thing.
I don't plan on breeding my skink, and am hoping to possibly avoid brumation.
But if it happens, it happens. I can't do anything about it lol.
Can't wait to read some answers :}
I was also wondering the same exact thing.
I don't plan on breeding my skink, and am hoping to possibly avoid brumation.
But if it happens, it happens. I can't do anything about it lol.
Can't wait to read some answers :}
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Confused on brumation...
More tropical forms can brumate even when u keep same basking bulb running year round,they cycle on a dirunal basis,its cooler nite temps that stimulate them to brumate,if room cage is in fluctuates in temp they can go in to brumation even if u trt to prevent it,some temperate types have done likewise for me,even with basking lights running,room temp lowers and cage is big enough to escape the heat,curl up and brumate
If they sense outside temps they can try to brumate,some try to keep active,others go to cool end if available and try to brumate,a big thing is the climate u live in,it gets quite cold where i live and for around at least 5 months,and im more talking day time ambient,but with tropical species also night ambient
So the answer to your question is yes,instincts can make them try to brumate,but has alot to do with your ambient temps and where the particular animals are from and if they pick up any cues to whats going on outdoors
If they sense outside temps they can try to brumate,some try to keep active,others go to cool end if available and try to brumate,a big thing is the climate u live in,it gets quite cold where i live and for around at least 5 months,and im more talking day time ambient,but with tropical species also night ambient
So the answer to your question is yes,instincts can make them try to brumate,but has alot to do with your ambient temps and where the particular animals are from and if they pick up any cues to whats going on outdoors
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Confused on brumation...
What if a skink is brumating and you wake it up and handle it everyday?
Would that be bad for the skinks health? Or would it just make him upset? :/
Would that be bad for the skinks health? Or would it just make him upset? :/
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Confused on brumation...
Probably best to leave them be but when ive handled mine hasnt affected them,its good to give them the once over anyways to make sure alls well
Outdoors my blotchies curl up exposed to the elements,i used to move them into hide boxes ect,but they came back out and resumed curled up position exposed to the elements with no ill effects,even when exposed to ice for 2 or 3 days so now i just leave them be
Outdoors my blotchies curl up exposed to the elements,i used to move them into hide boxes ect,but they came back out and resumed curled up position exposed to the elements with no ill effects,even when exposed to ice for 2 or 3 days so now i just leave them be
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: Confused on brumation...
Thanks for asking this question! I was wondering the same thing! I live in Colorado, US and we definitely can get cold winter temps. I currently keep my skinks in the garage (not ideal) while I figure out their living arrangements. The temperature in the garage is a constant 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Their hot side of the tank stays between 95-100 F and the cool side fluctuates between 85-78. At night I keep their infrared bulb on which keeps their "hot" end around 85-88. So...hopefully that is all okay...but if I don't get their new enclosure completed before the cooler weather comes in, are they going to try and brumate? I have a meruake and a IJ.
What temperatures start sending BTS into brumation? Is there a cold temperature that is dangerous for them? I would like to keep them out of brumation too, but I don't mind letting them do their thing. How do I know if they are starting to go into it?
What temperatures start sending BTS into brumation? Is there a cold temperature that is dangerous for them? I would like to keep them out of brumation too, but I don't mind letting them do their thing. How do I know if they are starting to go into it?
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Confused on brumation...
If u keep there temps up shouldnt be an issue,if they stay away from basking area,sleep alot and go off there food thats a good sign there trying to brumate
The temps u say should keep them active though
The temps u say should keep them active though
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: Confused on brumation...
Okay, thanks Richard!
-
Oosie505
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 14
- Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:43 pm
- Country:
- Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Confused on brumation...
Thanks for the comments, input, and answers guys! I've never dealt with any sort of animal that brumates before...so the thought of an animal not eating or growing for several weeks to months MILDLY freaks me out. I'd rather not have to deal with it if there are ways to prevent it, but from my understanding, as long as I keep the temps up and maintain regular feedings, they are far less likely to brumate? Maybe I'm just being paranoid...I just don't wanna' off my skink if I think he's going into brumation but it's really a false alarm.
I guess I'll just play it by ear and if he looks like he starts to, I'll worry about it then.
I guess I'll just play it by ear and if he looks like he starts to, I'll worry about it then.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Confused on brumation...
If they do appear to brumate,just keep an eye on body condition,if they lise weight its not cool enough and there wasting fat reserves,if preventing brumations the goal u need to up temps,maybe just back ground temp if basking spots still warm enough,i normally just let them brumate,and keep an eye on them
-
splat868
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am
- Country:
Re: Confused on brumation...
Hi Richard,
Do you keep Shinglebacks, and how have you gone with them outside over winter?
I live in their normal climate, but have found they to do some very strange things.
I have had fit, healthy and happy shinglebacks wander out of shelter on a cold wet day, and die of exposure overnight.
This year, Ive tried placing them into temporary enclosures undercover, but still getting sunlight to overwinter them.
This latest method has worked much better, but I have still had a few develop respiratory infections.
I know that around 10% die in the wild every year from this, but thats pretty harsh on your pets.
I guess I will try bringing them into a shed where they won't get a lot of natural light(as per the care sheets) next year to give them some more warmth as the vet thinks its the cold getting to them.
Do you keep Shinglebacks, and how have you gone with them outside over winter?
I live in their normal climate, but have found they to do some very strange things.
I have had fit, healthy and happy shinglebacks wander out of shelter on a cold wet day, and die of exposure overnight.
This year, Ive tried placing them into temporary enclosures undercover, but still getting sunlight to overwinter them.
This latest method has worked much better, but I have still had a few develop respiratory infections.
I know that around 10% die in the wild every year from this, but thats pretty harsh on your pets.
I guess I will try bringing them into a shed where they won't get a lot of natural light(as per the care sheets) next year to give them some more warmth as the vet thinks its the cold getting to them.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Confused on brumation...
Naah stumpies indoors year round,to wet here,but have same issues outdoors you have but with easterns,yet wild ones brumate with in 20 metres of my outside cage,i think in the cage they dont have the options of using things to get warmer,the wildones brumate in a compost pile,it warms up in the sun so much they have to get out to cool down,then at sundown the wander back in,i say they as sometimes theres been as many as 12 of them sitting away from it at any one time
They are also susceptible to respitory infections,so in need of different things to help there,my blotcheds on the other hand,they lay out in the open exposed for 5 months,and thrive
Stumpies handle cold ok,its cold damp they despise,well in saying that depends how cold it gets where u are,inland gets pretty cold i guess compared to the coast,overnite frosts common
They are also susceptible to respitory infections,so in need of different things to help there,my blotcheds on the other hand,they lay out in the open exposed for 5 months,and thrive
Stumpies handle cold ok,its cold damp they despise,well in saying that depends how cold it gets where u are,inland gets pretty cold i guess compared to the coast,overnite frosts common
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 206 guests
