New Bluies

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

New Bluies

Postby Bluish » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:16 pm

About a month ago I came home with a bluey after many years out of the hobby. MY bluey was immediately named Carlos by my son. I brought home another one that my wife named Lupe. The naming of the third was also wrestled from my hands and she is Coco. :noknow:
Maybe I'll get to name one of the babies if they breed.
Carlos is comfortable inside the house but get a little freaked out in the garden. Lupe is comfortable anywhere. She's pretty aggressive at feeding time and will chase down and try to bite my hand if it's in the cage after she's eaten. Lupe is bipolar. She is usually the most relaxed but has given me a full on tongue wagging threat display in the garden. Here are a few pics I snapped recently.

Carlos:
Image
Image

Lupe:

Image
Image
Image

Coco:
Image
Image
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Bluies

Postby Rani-May » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Beautiful, love the close up with the tongue out,pretty light blue colour. How old are they? you are hoping they will breed?
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: New Bluies

Postby Bluish » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:25 pm

According to the past owners Carlos is 5 years old, Lupe is 3 y.o., and Coco is about 15 months. All three came from different sources.
As for breeding it looks like Carlos and Lupe should be ready for next spring.
It was tough getting a good tongue shot until I realized my camera has a burst mode. It takes alot of pics very quickly, 95% of which I subsequently deleted. Right after that tongue shot she did a very impressive tongue wagging display. I could of caught it on film but I didn't want to stress her.
Yes, the tongue definitely adds to the cuteness factor :wink: .
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Bluies

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:57 am

very nice :) would be exciting to breed them for the first time. do you plan on keeping any of the babies?
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: New Bluies

Postby Bluish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:29 am

Yes I would like to keep a few of the babies and/or trade for different bloodlines. It seems a little hard to know which ones to keep back since their coloration/look can change quite a bit. With other species I've bred sometimes it's the ugly ducklings that turn into the nicest adults. We'll see though, if they do breed I may base my holdbacks on personality.
New babies are always exciting :thumbs:
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Bluies

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 am

yeah i picked my most recent blue tongue baby for personality. was between her and her sibling who had a beautiful bright white chin and underbelly. looked beautiful. but the one i chose was more social and ran straight onto my hand when the other shied away. so i chose the friendlier one. however i think the one i chose has pretty colouring too. is a blotched with a yellowy chin and belly as you can sort of see in my picture :D
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: New Bluies

Postby Bluish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:10 am

If mine breed maybe we can trade some babies :mrgreen: Joking of course. Yours is a beauty!! And not available in this neck of the woods.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
smittenbunny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:33 pm
Country:
Location: Leeds, UK

Re: New Bluies

Postby smittenbunny » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 am

Wow Bluish, they are absolutely gorgeous!
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Bluies

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 am

Oh i wish! Tasmania can ONLY have blotched blue tongues. which is unfortunate, there are so many beautiful kinds. I hope when it eventually happens you post plenty of pictures and/or videos :)
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: New Bluies

Postby Bluish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 am

Thanks smittenbunny. They're not the prettiest Northerns but they sure are sweet little things.
I think I'd rather find blotchies in my back yard than other species in cages Rani-May :wink: . I don't know if you like hot snakes but I believe Tasmsnia has some gorgeous tiger snakes.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: New Bluies

Postby bella3 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:17 am

Great tongue shot! They all look great, and I love the names :)
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Bluies

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 am

well yes, i have to admit, its pretty awesome that a lot of Tasmanians will see a fair few blue tongues strolling through their backyards during their life time. yes we get tiger and copperhead snakes all the time, a few weeks ago i actually saw one basking on my neighbours cement porch! little scary haha, have to have a permit here to have any reptile or amphibian though, which is pretty good i think. And reptiles must be given away, it is illegal to sell them!
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: New Bluies

Postby Bluish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:58 am

Sounds like a good system. Here it is illegal to keep any native species and many exotics are being restricted (large, potentially dangerous ones). As long as the list of restricted species doesn't grow I'm not really bothered by it.
As much as I'd love to see native Australian and Tasmanian fauna I wouldn't be too comfortable finding some of them in my backyard. :shock:
I live in a large urban center and have never seen a reptile or amphibian here. :(
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Bluies

Postby Rani-May » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:05 am

yes it is a pretty good system, to have exotics here im pretty sure you have to do study time and what not.
And yes, the snake are not so pleasant to find slithering around, I myself have only had a few encounters so far. But blueys are everywhere and frogs too. I do love living here, just not a very wide variety we can have as pets here unfortunately :(

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 180 guests