Healthy size for age?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Healthy size for age?

Postby neurotic88 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:53 am

Hi all!

Question for you all.

So as many of you know the shop where I picked up my BTS was hardly knowledgeable and I got all the important information for you guys.

I was told when I got him in March that he was 3 months old, if that's true, he's now 8 months old.

I weighed him when I first got him home and he was 23 grams.

He is now 105-108 grams, pictures attached.

I saw some BTS at a store today, and they were apparently 5 months old, and twice the size of my Jarvis.

They were Northern and Eastern, and Jarvis is Indo, does that make a difference?

Just wondering if he is a healthy size for his age.

P.S Jarvis is fed Wednesday, Friday and Sunday (a mixture of leafy greens, usually squash or sometimes bell pepper with either wellness dogfood or snails, with small pieces of fruit on the off days when I take him out for visits)


Any feed back is appreciated! :)


Image

Image
Dan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:44 pm
Country:
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I think that the Australians are more dense than the Indos. Yours has a long thin tail whereas the T. scincoides intermediata and T.s. scincoides are bulkier in the body. Yours looks to be a decent length for his age. My Irian Jaya is about 18 months old and is only a little bit longer that yours.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby Richard.C » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:52 pm

They grow as fast or slow as conditions and food supply allow,theres no set size oer age guide,they can be adult size in under a year,all species,but thats pushing them,eg feeding every day,lots of small meals,not cooling them there first winter ect ect

Yours looks fine for its age,good weight and nice and healthy looking,so you look to being doing the right thing for it
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby neurotic88 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Richard.C wrote:They grow as fast or slow as conditions and food supply allow,theres no set size oer age guide,they can be adult size in under a year,all species,but thats pushing them,eg feeding every day,lots of small meals,not cooling them there first winter ect ect

Yours looks fine for its age,good weight and nice and healthy looking,so you look to being doing the right thing for it



Thanks much, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

I try hard to take good care of him :D

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't stunting his growth or something
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby Jeff » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Like Richard said, they are all individuals, and yours looks fine. I highly doubt that a pet store in Toronto has easterns for sale though. I would love to see pictures of the skinks they are calling easterns!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
NOP
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:21 pm
Country:
Location: West Virginia

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby NOP » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:23 pm

I also happen to have an Indonesian and also happens to be 8 months old as well my guy is about the same size as yours maybe an inch or more bigger but my little guy is a pig so he is a bit wider than yours...or yours could be female and mine a male
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby neurotic88 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:10 am

Jeff wrote:Like Richard said, they are all individuals, and yours looks fine. I highly doubt that a pet store in Toronto has easterns for sale though. I would love to see pictures of the skinks they are calling easterns!


Hey Jeff,

It wasn't actually the usual pet shops, it was Reptilia in Vaughn (The reptile zoo) The guy said they came from a breeder.

*I* thought they were North and East, there were no labels on them, they are definitely not Indo, as they looked nothing like Jarvis.

I based that on the pictures here of each locality.

If I am back there, I will take a picture for you :)


Thanks for all your feedback guys!
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby neurotic88 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:20 am

Jeff wrote:Like Richard said, they are all individuals, and yours looks fine. I highly doubt that a pet store in Toronto has easterns for sale though. I would love to see pictures of the skinks they are calling easterns!


Hey Jeff,

Grabbed some pictures of those BTS for sale, I figured they were East / Northern, but maybe I am wrong? :D

They are a nice bit bigger then Jarvis at 2-3 months younger.

Image

Image
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:34 am

looks northern...
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Healthy size for age?

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 am

Northerns.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 188 guests