How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
I agree with LarissaLurid, it's just a bad idea to put a mirror in an enclosure I would think. Just because it may not seem stressed at one moment is not to say it wasn't or won't become stressed. I felt bad for that bearded dragon in the video-obviously it didn't seem very happy. I believe mirrors should be kept far away from lizards enclosure's.
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
Wow that Iguana looked very heavy and strong I'm so relieved he didn't get hurt when he attacked it at the end !!
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
Yes, as I said before guys, not intending to do anything mirror related, it was just a thought that came to mind and I wanted to get other's opinions 
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:

Mazi would look in the mirror and think "Dayuuuum, you one fiiine lookin' lizard- Oh wait, thats me..."
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
You could always ask phaemas how her cage is working 

- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
Hahahaha! Ohh Phaemas... Does she really have a mirror in her habitat?
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
If I recall correctly, its *MADE* of mirrors.... 

- ManahShepard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
Yeah, beardies are pretty aggressive and territorial, which is why I don't understand why people keep them together (some people do, unfortunately).
But, even if you know it stresses them out or makes them angry, it still looks utterly hilarious. Throwing their heads up and down, etc. But, like the others said it be pretty silly to put a mirror in their cage - they already have problems enough seeing their own reflections.
Currently I'm having that problem with my beardie, shes been getting very territorial lately, especially since she can see Marbles in his cage.
But, even if you know it stresses them out or makes them angry, it still looks utterly hilarious. Throwing their heads up and down, etc. But, like the others said it be pretty silly to put a mirror in their cage - they already have problems enough seeing their own reflections.
Currently I'm having that problem with my beardie, shes been getting very territorial lately, especially since she can see Marbles in his cage.
Taiga - my little mischief maker <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
I had 2 male and 3 female beardeds living together,never had an issue aggression wise
Males can be aggressive,like other reptile species but i wouldnt call beardeds that aggressive,thousands of people keep them in groups
Males can be aggressive,like other reptile species but i wouldnt call beardeds that aggressive,thousands of people keep them in groups
- ManahShepard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
You're not supposed to have them in groups because they /are/ aggressive towards each other. I'm surprised your males didn't kill one another.
It's exactly the same like with leopard geckos - the aggression is not seen, its subtle and it happens over time. There are many, MANY cases of bearded dragons bossing and being dominant to their tank mates. People who keep them together don't know any better and usually do it out of ignorance because they don't know any better.
They are not pack animals, just like blue tongued skinks, they prefer to be alone.
I really hope you don't do this anymore.
Edit: And when I mean bossing and being dominant, I mean taking off their toes, taking much more of the food, constantly stressing them out with head bobbing, /stacking/ on top of each other to get the best heating spot and to let the other beardies know that they get the best of everything first.
Just because /thousands of people do it/ doesn't make it right. It just means /thousands of people/ are doing it /wrong/.
I'm sorry if I come off as bossy or very forward, but this is a serious issue for me, because a lot of animals get hurt because of this. And I am in the best interest of the animal - not the convenience of the owner.
It's exactly the same like with leopard geckos - the aggression is not seen, its subtle and it happens over time. There are many, MANY cases of bearded dragons bossing and being dominant to their tank mates. People who keep them together don't know any better and usually do it out of ignorance because they don't know any better.
They are not pack animals, just like blue tongued skinks, they prefer to be alone.
I really hope you don't do this anymore.
Edit: And when I mean bossing and being dominant, I mean taking off their toes, taking much more of the food, constantly stressing them out with head bobbing, /stacking/ on top of each other to get the best heating spot and to let the other beardies know that they get the best of everything first.
Just because /thousands of people do it/ doesn't make it right. It just means /thousands of people/ are doing it /wrong/.
I'm sorry if I come off as bossy or very forward, but this is a serious issue for me, because a lot of animals get hurt because of this. And I am in the best interest of the animal - not the convenience of the owner.
Taiga - my little mischief maker <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:
If they are aggressive obviously you seperate them,but generally you can keep them in small groups,they head bob and arm wave to signal to each other,they do fine in groups,usually just one male with a few females but if theres room 2 males can get along to,especially with multible females,as they dont need to compete
My enclosure was 6 x 3x 3 foot in size so a fair amount of space,i also raised the 5 of them from juvies so they were familiar with each other,they bred fine,,kept all there toes and tails and layed many an egg in the 7 to ten years i had them,the last of the original 5 passed away last summer,the smaller male,less outgoing at ten and a half years of age,a good innings for a central beardie,especially a male that wasnt the dominant one
If underfed most reptiles get competitive,aggression becomes common with compitition,adding adult males to groups can lead to aggression,even adult females,they do have pecking orders,but saying there aggressive and cant be keot in groups is pretty wrong
My enclosure was 6 x 3x 3 foot in size so a fair amount of space,i also raised the 5 of them from juvies so they were familiar with each other,they bred fine,,kept all there toes and tails and layed many an egg in the 7 to ten years i had them,the last of the original 5 passed away last summer,the smaller male,less outgoing at ten and a half years of age,a good innings for a central beardie,especially a male that wasnt the dominant one
If underfed most reptiles get competitive,aggression becomes common with compitition,adding adult males to groups can lead to aggression,even adult females,they do have pecking orders,but saying there aggressive and cant be keot in groups is pretty wrong
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: How Do You Think A BTS Would Feel/React If:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests
