Plinko has mites, agh. Closed eyes after iodine bath

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
PlinkoPachinko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
Country:
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Plinko has mites, agh. Closed eyes after iodine bath

Postby PlinkoPachinko » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:26 pm

I got rid of the mites on my BP, I guess they jumped over to Plinko. :(

I've treated him for mites with a really mild diluted solution of nix.

today I bathed him in water to get some of the mites off. then I bathed him in diluted iodine solution.. then to get the iodine off I bathed him in water. After the baths, he's been keeping his eyes closed more than usual. I dunno if he's just cranky, or if the iodine got in his eyes.

Any advice?
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Plinko has mites, agh. Closed eyes after iodine bath

Postby Lea » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Iodine is a severe irritant and the vapour can be highly irritant to the eyes, nasal passages and broken skin, despite it's use as an antiseptic. I would advise bathing him again, in clean, warm water and using a cotton bud to lightly wash over the eyes, without pressing too much, just to wash off the excess iodine. It can also cause respiratory distress, so keep an eye on nasal passages for discharge or laboured breathing. Using iodine as a dilute solution in small quantities, can be ok for antiseptic use, but adding to warm water can cause vapours to rise, making it quite dangerous for even topical use. I would avoid using it as a bath, unless in veterinary preparations, where they usually take precautions to limit adverse effects.
If symptoms persist, see your vet for advice. The effects of iodine damage are not always reversible .
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: Plinko has mites, agh. Closed eyes after iodine bath

Postby AnnaMonroe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:12 am

Plinko !! Noooo :(
I hope he gets well soon!
He's too beautiful..
User avatar
PlinkoPachinko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
Country:
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Plinko has mites, agh. Closed eyes after iodine bath

Postby PlinkoPachinko » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 am

That's odd... I was told it was okay to soak him in this diluted iodine solution to make sure his mite bites don't get infected... if it matters, it was povidone-iodine, not straight up iodine (I don't know the difference?)

Anyways today I got him out to check on him and he glared at me like his normal self. :P So there's that!
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Plinko has mites, agh. Closed eyes after iodine bath

Postby Bird_Brain » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:45 am

I dont know how strong you mixed it, but I have used a Betadine water solution for soaking after mite treatments many times with no issues. I use it as I have heard it helps minimize the "itchiness" of the mite bites. I typically mix it to where the water is a light tea coloring. I dont recall if any of them put their head under the water or got the solution in their eye, but none have had any issues. If anything, I would suspect the mite treatment causing more of an irritation. But of course I also dont have the medical knowledge that Lea has :noknow:
Brad
User avatar
PlinkoPachinko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
Country:
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Plinko has mites, agh. Closed eyes after iodine bath

Postby PlinkoPachinko » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 am

ReptileKing wrote:I dont know how strong you mixed it, but I have used a Betadine water solution for soaking after mite treatments many times with no issues. I use it as I have heard it helps minimize the "itchiness" of the mite bites. I typically mix it to where the water is a light tea coloring. I dont recall if any of them put their head under the water or got the solution in their eye, but none have had any issues. If anything, I would suspect the mite treatment causing more of an irritation. But of course I also dont have the medical knowledge that Lea has :noknow:


yeah that's exactly what I did. I mixed it to the light tea coloration then left him in for like 10 minutes. I made sure I gave him a normal bath first, so he could hydrate if he wanted. Then I bathed him again in normal water afterwards. :noknow:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 209 guests