Heat lamps & basking bulbs & UV lights, oh my!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Emz3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Colorado, US

Heat lamps & basking bulbs & UV lights, oh my!

Postby Emz3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi all,

So I've had my BTS a couple months now I think, and things are going well over all. Still learning as I go! I had a lighting question for you as I am new to the world of reptiles. How safe is all this lighting we use? I leave it on for 12 hours a day, every day and do leave the house of course!

I have my basking temperatures good (95-100) and my cool end is good! (75-85) I use a clamping flood light for the basking bulb, I also have a small infra red bulb that isn't as hot and then of course the uvb light. All three lights lay on the top of the tank cover which is made of metal. Have any of you ever had a problem with the wiring or bulbs? I'm not usually a worrier but couldn't this be a fire hazard? I don't even leave my Christmas lights on when I leave the house! lol! :helpme:

Your thoughts?
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Heat lamps & basking bulbs & UV lights, oh my!

Postby Richard.C » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 am

I like to secure the lights,just for peace of mind,i have them inside the cage,if u have pet cats,birds ect id be worried they could knock them off causing fire risks,if no other pets and sitting on metal screen i see no probs if cage is sturdy
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Heat lamps & basking bulbs & UV lights, oh my!

Postby Lea » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:08 am

Use a circuit breaking powerboard, with built in switches/circuit breakers, for all the plugs to sit in. They are pretty good and will short out if it detects a problem, but are also easy to reset without having to change fuses. Keep the boards free from dust, well ventilated and of course, dry as a bone! Main causes for fires would be from overheating, so good ventilation is a must. Keep the powerboards flat and don't overload them so much that they tip over or cause the plugs to loosen/dislodge- this causes overheating secondary to poor connections and therefore increases the risk of fire.

Oh, make sure all your fire alarms are connected or have good batteries. It's worth having a backup battery one, if you are hard wired, in case of power outages, btw.

(I lived out in the bush a while, so kind of pedantic over fire safety!)
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests