Ard in North Carolina questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
dustypaws
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:28 am
Country: USA

Ard in North Carolina questions

Postby dustypaws » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:05 pm

We Made it up to North Carolina without any problems. Ard was in the back seat in a small cat carrier with a hot water bottle under shredded paper. Since I had the dog in the passenger seat and it was hot outside I kept a towel over Ard's carrier to keep the A/C from freezing him out. We purchased a new Exo Terra enclosure for him which was set up and ready when I arrived to our new home in the mountains. All's good.
I do have some questions to throw out there for you guys as you all were super concerning our move in May. First since we moved from Florida to Western North Carolina the temperature of course is cooler and we will be experiencing WINTER :( ! Ard's enclosure is in our dining room where he can see us if we are in the kitchen or family room and there is morning sun (but not too close) What lights do you suggest for the coming winter months? I have a Zoo Med 150w on a tall stand and a separate UV 18inch on the top keeping the warming temp between 97-100 and cool areas= middle is 86 and opposite end is 76. When should I add an infrared heat lamp for those cold nights and for how long? (at what house internal temp?) I also use the Exo Terra Monsoon to mist his enclosure as it is not as humid here as it was in Florida. Would you suggest that I turn it off during the evening? For those of you who do use it what settings do you have it at for your skink?
The second question is his new thing is to stay buried under his paper for days leading up to his shed. At this moment he is getting lighter in color and has been hiding for 2 days. Our temps have been in the mid 70's to the low 60's. He doesn't want to eat but then again with his pulp figure, he can go a few days. Side FYI, I only feed him about once a week and he doesn't eat much (he is a very picky eater) but is still keeping that pulp-ness.(He's always had that size even as a young skink).
And yes, he is very relaxed with being held especially with my grandson, who through much warning, is very gentle. Since I have been out of work and looking for a job, I have managed to drag his scaly butt out daily (except for these past days) taking him outside for a sun bathing session and I rap him in a towel in the evenings to sleep on me while we catch a few programs on the TV. I think that the more they are handled, the less stressful they are. Just saying it worked for me.
I appreciate all your help with my questions and concerns. Thanks Much!!! :thumbs:
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Ard in North Carolina questions

Postby bella3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm going to try to answer these questions, but I would wait for more advice from more experianced people on here as I'm just giving my opinion :D

I'm in Toronto, and it gets cold here too. As long as the house doesn't get too cold at night (maybe not below 70ish?) you should be fine. So if it doesn't get too cold than maybe you don't need the infrared? Also, if your house will be heated during the winter months it probably won't get super cold. Someone correct me on this if I am wrong.

As for the shedding I think sometimes skinks get sort of cranky leading up to a shed. I believe that it's normal for him to be hiding and maybe a little grumpy.

I'm glad everything is going well for you and Ard.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 231 guests