Introduction and question. HIIII!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
SnakeCharmr728
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm
Country:
Location: bay area, california

Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby SnakeCharmr728 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi everyone! Im new here. Names Kayla. Im on northern california. I keep a wide variety of reptiles and am vice president of North Bay Herpetological Society.... Ive been researching and looking to get a bts. I would like a sub-adult - adult... I have good friends that own GBU Enterprises out of Lodi, Ca and they have two for sale... So I am wanting your opinions on them! I am also attending 2 reptile expo's in the next month and may find one there if I do not get one of these adults...

I have called around and seem to be only finding them in the 200-250 price range.... is that about average?

These are 2 adults from GBU Enterprises.... Not sure if the are WC or CB but they've had them for about a year...
This is a female, perfect toes & I like the orange colors! but they dont know if they are northerns or IJs, apparently its hard to tell the difference???
Ive read that if the back legs are a solid color its a northern, if its patterned then its an IJ????

Then theres the lighter one, unsexed, can anyone tell from these pics? she/he was previously owned and kept too dry with bad sheds or with a cage mate as shes missing almost all her toes, has a scared up head and missing a few inches off the tail.... but shes a total sweetheart!! and shes very light in coloration... I

I dont mind visual imperfections, I would be using them as educational animals and of course as my pet. and the no toes on the one is kind of nice because then theres no scratching while being held... They are both going for $250each but since Im friends with the owners, I could probably get them down to 200each maybe less.... Whats your opinions?

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
www.NorthBayTeguRescue.com
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue

Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Welcome! The first looks to be a Northern, the second an IJ. Neither is exactly the classic look of those species though. The first looks kindof Eastern-ish maybe (probably just Northern though), and the second looks Merauke. I'm sure some people will say the second is Merauke with some IJ. So maybe MerIJ.

I personally wouldn't pay anywhere near $200 for them, but I'm not you. They both look to be in decent condition but with some signs of MBD. They could probably use a vet check and an improved diet (diet may already be improved if MBD is old, I don't know).
SnakeCharmr728
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm
Country:
Location: bay area, california

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby SnakeCharmr728 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks for your reply! What are the visual signs of MBD here?
www.NorthBayTeguRescue.com
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue

Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 pm

The tail. It's often the first outward sign of MBD. There's little kinks. If that's all, and it doesn't get worse, it won't hurt. There could be other issues that we can't see though.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 am

Geez, that's the most Merauke looking IJ I've ever seen.
I think Jeff might have one more baby left for sale...
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Lea » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 am

The second one looks a bit less robust. She looks a good weight, so maybe it's just the photo, but her eyes look a little too bright, almost watery. I might be seeing too much, since it's only what I see in the picture, but she definitely doesn't look in as good condition. Do you know where they were before your friends had them? Have your friends had health issues at all since they obtained them? She does look a little kinky, possibly as a result of MBD, but only an X-ray could prove that.

I would aim to get as much history on them as you can. I suspect, being vice president of the herp society, you have other reptiles in your care- the last thing you would want is to bring them home and unknowingly introduce a bug that could potentially affect all of your current pets.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Lea » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 am

I was just taking another look at the second skink. The keratin layer of the scales also looks very thin, where you can see the ripple of the osteoderm plate underneath it. I would say she hasn't had a good diet for a lot of her life, regardless of what she is being fed now and this has affected her long term with several deficiencies, as well as possible complications from MBD. I'd be wanting her to have a thorough check up with a good herp vet. Unfortunately, problems like gout, don't just affect the bones and joints, they can also result in organ failure. Not meaning to throw a spanner in the works here, just sharing my knowledge on what can be a very painful condition.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
SnakeCharmr728
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm
Country:
Location: bay area, california

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby SnakeCharmr728 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies and great info! I am so glad I asked before purchasing as I did not these they were in that bad of shape. Luckily I found out ahead of time and saved me the heartache. GBU is a great place and they are being fed a correct diet now... as they were previously owned and that is why they are in the shape that they are... I will pass on the info to them just in case. Until then, my search continues... I really do want to 'hand-pick" so I am hesitant to purchasing online. Hopefully I'll find a few nice cb ones that I like, to choose from at the expos coming up this and next month... I do know that Global Captive Breeders will be there but all of theres are fresh wc. :( I wont support that.
www.NorthBayTeguRescue.com
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue

Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
SnakeCharmr728
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm
Country:
Location: bay area, california

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby SnakeCharmr728 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the links! I am hoping to find a sub-adult/adult rather than a baby... but Im not crossing babies off the list yet, just need to find one that "speaks" to me. :D
www.NorthBayTeguRescue.com
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue

Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Lea » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm not sure who has what and what ages, but I'd check with some if the breeders on this site. Fatal S, Jeff, James Wilson, Zach and Reptileking, are all well known here and well respected. You'll always be of sound mind with quality and you'll know the history, particularly if you want an older skink, that's good to know. There are many other breeders here and I'm sure they'll be suggestions from these few, if they can't help you out right now.

Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Zach might actually have a skink from last year that could use an amazing home. His skinks are very well-loved and could make excellent education animals right from the get-go. I'm in Canada, so I can't help. The other breeders listed are all fantastic, not sure what they have available right now.
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Lea » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Fatal_S wrote:Zach might actually have a skink from last year that could use an amazing home. His skinks are very well-loved and could make excellent education animals right from the get-go. I'm in Canada, so I can't help. The other breeders listed are all fantastic, not sure what they have available right now.






Canada :doh: I knew there was something wrong with your lizards, but couldn't put a finger on it :wink:
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby Sarikazam » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:08 pm

LeaBilby wrote:
Fatal_S wrote:Zach might actually have a skink from last year that could use an amazing home. His skinks are very well-loved and could make excellent education animals right from the get-go. I'm in Canada, so I can't help. The other breeders listed are all fantastic, not sure what they have available right now.






Canada :doh: I knew there was something wrong with your lizards, but couldn't put a finger on it :wink:


Mhm, they all wear toques, have a bad habit of watching too much ice hockey and have a natural craving for maple syrup.
;)
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
SnakeCharmr728
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm
Country:
Location: bay area, california

Re: Introduction and question. HIIII!

Postby SnakeCharmr728 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks everyone, I'm looking at a few this weekend but if I dont pick one then I'll contact Zack.
www.NorthBayTeguRescue.com
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue

Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests