I was browsing and saw a user on another forum (Infernalis) debating with another regarding this issue, his argument was as follows:
"So let me if I understand this correctly, you are trying to say that the same phosphate ingredient used to make laundry detergent is not going to have any effect on the kidneys and livers of small reptiles, not even after long term exposure??
Tell that to the litter of baby snakes and my dead Bosc who were unfortunate enough to eat prawns and fish treated with that same chemical...
Consider this mate, how many geckos would it take to equal the mass of one larger breed dog's liver?
How many baby Natrix would it take to equal the mass of one human liver?
Since this thread is about Pogona, just how much exposure to this Phosphate do you think they get in the outback?
The point I am making here is that our organs are much larger and can handle trace amounts of toxins with little ill effects, however herps are far more sensitive to exposure than large mammals are.
I did not enter into that research lightly, My collection was dying, and I had to get to the root of the problem, and YES I paid for post mortem lab work.
So be thankful that I care enough to publish my findings and share them with others."
Now im not saying his argument is entirely correct, but it has got me thinking and since reading information (admittedly on a monitor site) has left me a little skeptical (I know the amount of people who feed dog food primarily without issues).
Here is the resource I was referring to:
http://www.savannahmonitor.co/stpp/
*QUOTED DIRECTLY*
"Are you poisoning your animals??
Sodium triphosphate (STP, sometimes STPP or sodium tripolyphosphate or TPP,[1]) is an inorganic compound with formula Na5P3O10. It is the sodium salt of the polyphosphate penta-anion, which is the conjugate base of triphosphoric acid. It is produced on a large scale as a component of many domestic and industrial products, especially detergents. Environmental problems associated with eutrophication are attributed to its widespread use.
Used in detergents!
The majority of STPP is consumed as a component of commercial detergents. It serves as a "builder," industrial jargon for a water softener. In hard water (water that contains high concentrations of Mg2+ and Ca2+), detergents are deactivated. Being a highly charged chelating agent, TPP5- binds to dications tightly and prevents them from interfering with the sulfonate detergent.

Also used in human food, dog/cat food??

The uses of sodium tripolyphosphate also include using it as a preservative. It can be used to preserve foods such as red meats, poultry, and seafood, helping them to retain their tenderness and moisture. Pet food and animal feed have been known to be treated with STPP, serving the same general purpose as it does in human food.
This is another good reason to refrain from feeding dog or cat foods to monitor lizards. It contains the same chemical additives as most frozen sea foods.
Commonly posts will appear on the forums about feeding canned or packet dog food to monitors. On a recent trip to Wal Mart, I read the ingredients on several different brand names of dog foods, Virtually all of it contains Sodium Tripolyphosphate. It is very harmful when ingested repeatedly by reptiles.
Feed only certified chemical free foods
This is more than sufficient reason to avoid canned goods and pre-packaged seafood items, why would anyone want to feed their lizard detergent phosphate??
Quoted excerpt from material safety data sheet.. ( http://www.bestcool.com.hk/newsview.asp?id=116 )
Swallowed - If ingested in large amounts, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are probable. Moderately toxic by ingestion. Poisoning may affect the blood calcium level.
Prolonged contact may be irritating. Slightly toxic by skin absorption.
Burning sensation to nose, throat and eye. May cause sneezing and coughing."
Thanks for reading and any input would be appreciated, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.




