Hi guys!
Last night, Misha's light blew. I actually have to get a new fixture this afternoon... Will she be okay for a full day (at maximum two) without UV lighting?
Thanks!
UV problem!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: UV problem!
What type of bulb was it?
If the UV was provided in means of a flourescent tube, then she would be fine for day providing she had a heat source.
If the lamp was a basking bulb/MVB which provided UV, then she would be fine, providing the temperatures didnt fall beneath around 60 F.
In this time, you shouldnt feed as being reptiles, they are exothermic and rely on external temperatures to perform bodily functions. Digestion being one (need to bask).
What type of BTS do you own?
If the UV was provided in means of a flourescent tube, then she would be fine for day providing she had a heat source.
If the lamp was a basking bulb/MVB which provided UV, then she would be fine, providing the temperatures didnt fall beneath around 60 F.
In this time, you shouldnt feed as being reptiles, they are exothermic and rely on external temperatures to perform bodily functions. Digestion being one (need to bask).
What type of BTS do you own?
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: UV problem!
It was a fluorescent tube- so her temps are still normal as they are provided solely by her heat lamp. She's a Northern. 
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: UV problem!
There shouldnt be any problem then. Can I ask how long you had the flourescent for and what brand it was? They usually dont blow, but rather fade out the amount of UV they emit.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: UV problem!
iLoveMyLizard wrote:There shouldnt be any problem then. Can I ask how long you had the flourescent for and what brand it was? They usually dont blow, but rather fade out the amount of UV they emit.
It was a reptisun??? I think. I cant quite remember the brand name but its the only kind teh store carries. I can let you know for sure when I go to pick up a new one. Less than a month- this is why I'm 99% positive that it was actually the fixture itself.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: UV problem!
I have some that have had no uv exposure for ten years,a few days they wont kniw its even blown,is it a tube light,it could just be the ballast has blown,if your light holders have those over there
- Sarikazam
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 408
- Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: UV problem!
Oh gosh, how strange! Like did the light bulb actually explode??
But I agree Richard I doubt she will even notice it is missing. I know lots of skinks live without any UV all the time so just a few days certainly won't hurt anything.
But I agree Richard I doubt she will even notice it is missing. I know lots of skinks live without any UV all the time so just a few days certainly won't hurt anything.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: UV problem!
@Sari Nah! it just like. Turned off all of a sudden!
Richard, that's the answer I was looking for. I thought some folk kept em that way, but I didn't want to assume and do nothing without knowing first! thankyou!
Richard, that's the answer I was looking for. I thought some folk kept em that way, but I didn't want to assume and do nothing without knowing first! thankyou!
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: UV problem!
Try adjusting the fixtures which clamp onto the lamp. Also, check the pins that connect them and see if they are bend or anything. If this fails, check your ballast, (the power thing) and see if the battery is screwed in properly (arcadia brand ballasts).
The reptisun bulbs are produced by zoo med I believe, If you can find any arcadia branded tubes, the 6% bulbs are far better than competitors lasting 12 months before the UV begins to die. Zoo Med, exo terra and such have been proven to have a 6 month life span before the UV is then ineffective.
However, there is deffinitely something not right for it to die/blow. Did the tube shatter or die? Are there any black markings on the tube? Kind of like when cigarette lighters turn things black when they burn.
The reptisun bulbs are produced by zoo med I believe, If you can find any arcadia branded tubes, the 6% bulbs are far better than competitors lasting 12 months before the UV begins to die. Zoo Med, exo terra and such have been proven to have a 6 month life span before the UV is then ineffective.
However, there is deffinitely something not right for it to die/blow. Did the tube shatter or die? Are there any black markings on the tube? Kind of like when cigarette lighters turn things black when they burn.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 148 guests
