Is there such a thing as too much substrate? I am using aspen shavings, and i bought two bags, assuming theyd barely fill the tank.......one bag gave me a 6 inch layer of apsen. aside from never seeing my future skink, or encouraging too much hiding, is there a negative to this?
Ive already run into a problem finding a stable place for a food and water dish.
Amount of Substrate
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Kahlypso
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:10 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Hampshire, United States of America
- Sarikazam
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 408
- Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: Amount of Substrate
The only problem I could think of is that if you use too much it could be kind of wasteful and it will probably add up in costs after a while. Other than that I can't think of any issues, but maybe someone else can think of something?
And I am having the same problem with finding a stable place to put dishes too! Hopefully I can get some pieces of slate soon and that will solve that.
And I am having the same problem with finding a stable place to put dishes too! Hopefully I can get some pieces of slate soon and that will solve that.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Amount of Substrate
I'd say 1-2 inches of substrate is plenty. The skink can still burrow and feel safe, it's easy to find, and it's not wasteful.
For stable areas, consider getting a piece of tile and some 1+ inch plastic legs. Silicone the legs to the bottom of the tile. You then have a stable tile that doubles as a nice hide. I have one under the basking light and it's a loved basking platform/warm hide. Of course there's infinite other options as well
For stable areas, consider getting a piece of tile and some 1+ inch plastic legs. Silicone the legs to the bottom of the tile. You then have a stable tile that doubles as a nice hide. I have one under the basking light and it's a loved basking platform/warm hide. Of course there's infinite other options as well
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 228 guests
