Jarvis update (and question)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Jarvis update (and question)

Postby neurotic88 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello everyone!


Jarvis is growing like a weed still, still doesn't particularly like me, but he is slowly getting better I guess ;)

Question:

I noticed after he sneezed today a big clear bubble around his lips, was sort of hanging on his bottom lip.
He sneezes now and then, but I have never seen a bubble stay like that before.

First thing that came to mind was a potential RI, any thoughts on this?

He is eating, and I assume drinking, tho I rarely catch him in the act of drinking.

Maybe this just happens sometimes??

His basking temp varies between 98-102 and his coldest end of the tank is 75ish, humidity is around 25% (I know, a bit low.. but my apartment is very dry, he does have a humid hide that he likes to use)

Anyways, he insisted on checking out my cats new "cat tree" today so I will throw in a photo ;)


Cheers!


~Tim
Image
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Jarvis update (and question)

Postby Linnea » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:27 am

note that the actual sneezing is normal.
skinks sneeze a lot when digging around, and when eating a meal too sometimes.
because of how they drink, a little water can come back out again if they were to lean over a bit, so this could have been what caused the bubble.

i think it is not a clear sign of RI, but it is worrying enough.
keep a very good eye on jarvis, listen to his breathing a little and make sure his eyes and nose are clear every day or so.
these signs are very clear indicators, as there should be no snot at all, or other liquid substances.
should you see any more bubbles or the like, in my opinion, it is vet time.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Jarvis update (and question)

Postby LarissaLurid » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Sneezing is extremely common and as Linnea said, if he was drinking water that could cause it. I've picked up a fire skink once who wasn't all that tame and got quite scared, and he had apparently drank not long before, so he spit up a gooey clear substance. So from my experience seeing that, I would guess that could be related and if he sneezed it could make a little gooey bubble.

Anyway..lol, If he seems healthy, active, no crackling or whistling while breathing, clear eyes and nose then I would not be worrying about an RI.


p.s. very cute picture :3
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 383 guests