chicken from soup that had onions in it

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ykopel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 am
Country:
Location: Brooklyn, NY

chicken from soup that had onions in it

Postby ykopel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:34 am

We eat chicken soup regularly, and I'd like to feed ruth chicken and veggies from the soup since that's definitely better for her than all that cat food! I read that onions are toxic for her though- is that a problem if it was in the soup, or its just a problem to feed her actual onion? Also, she just turned 1! this forum has made it so much easier for this newbie. I'll try to post pics soon as i get a chance.
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: chicken from soup that had onions in it

Postby tylociraptor » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:42 pm

I would stay away from safety's sake. Dog food is just fine, so is cat food. She should be getting fresh veggies anyway as part of her diet. I just picked up some of the supplies for my skink today and looking at wellness's brand.... well, hell, if I weren't a vegetarian I'd eat it myself! Good ingredients in there! :) Stick with good dog or cat food and you'll be just fine... OR if you wish, you could separate some of that chicken you make your soup to cook specifically for Ruth! And hey, happy birthday Ruth! :D
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: chicken from soup that had onions in it

Postby Richard.C » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm

id skip the soyp mix,for one the onion,the risk far outweighs any benefits,dogfood isnt bad either,its quite a balanced diet,and u can always add stuff to it if u dont have faith in it,eg lots of veg,more meat ect ect
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: chicken from soup that had onions in it

Postby LarissaLurid » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 am

I wouldn't go for the cat food due to taurine being in it, but high quality dog foods would be good. Soup mixes also have lots of sodium in them which isn't healthy. I really would not feed soup at all, unless it's maybe a tiny treat of chicken once in a while. Otherwise just buy raw chicken as part of the diet, it'd be healthier. I agree with tylociraptor that wellness brand is good quality. I use Merrick myself and have used wellness. I've also heard blue buffalo is a good choice.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 148 guests