quality bulb

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Chasen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am
Country:
Location: Provincetown, Mass

quality bulb

Postby Chasen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 am

Anyone have any input on a quality basking flood that will last longer than 2 months? I'm thinking there has to be a bulb that last a decent amount of time. I've been using zoo med and they literally last only 2 months. Thanx all for any input
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: quality bulb

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 am

if it is strictly a basking bulb and not a UV bulb, then there is no reason to be wasting money on the ones marketed for reptiles. Go to your nearest hardware store and get a generic flood/spot bulb. It will be a lot cheaper. There are a lot of variables that shorten the life of a bulb (how many hours its been used, any surges in the power lines, vibration damaging filament, weaker filament from the beginning, etc). There are typically double life bulbs available and most if not all bulbs will give you an average life right on the package (typically given in number of hours).
Brad
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: quality bulb

Postby tylociraptor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:54 am

Brad, I'm going to add a question to a question here.

Initially I was thinking to go with a simple MVB for my skink. My concern lies in that the cage is 2 feet high, and I don't know if that's too tall or too short. If one does go the hardware store route, how do you know which bulb is going to heat up hot enough to allow the lizard to actually BASK? Most of the lights I use around the house don't seem to get hot at ALL.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: quality bulb

Postby Linnea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:56 am

also, get a dimmer. if your house electricity is jumpy it can kill bulbs that quick, but with a dimmer its life will be spared.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: quality bulb

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

tylociraptor wrote:Brad, I'm going to add a question to a question here.

Initially I was thinking to go with a simple MVB for my skink. My concern lies in that the cage is 2 feet high, and I don't know if that's too tall or too short. If one does go the hardware store route, how do you know which bulb is going to heat up hot enough to allow the lizard to actually BASK? Most of the lights I use around the house don't seem to get hot at ALL.

What wattage was the basking bulb before? Get the same wattage as you had before, and you shouldnt have any issues. Halogen bulbs burn hotter than regular incandescent bulbs. So a 100 watt halogen will get hotter than a 100 watt incandescent.

I dont know what kind of bulbs you use in your home, but I typically use 40 or 60 watt regular household incandescent bulbs. They get hot enough that you can not touch them with your bare hands unless you want to get burnt. I am confident that if you get a similar wattage spot/flood bulb, you will have similar results. I have not see any proof that the Reptile heat bulbs are any different than standard house bulbs.
Brad
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: quality bulb

Postby tylociraptor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 pm

ReptileKing wrote:
tylociraptor wrote:Brad, I'm going to add a question to a question here.

Initially I was thinking to go with a simple MVB for my skink. My concern lies in that the cage is 2 feet high, and I don't know if that's too tall or too short. If one does go the hardware store route, how do you know which bulb is going to heat up hot enough to allow the lizard to actually BASK? Most of the lights I use around the house don't seem to get hot at ALL.

What wattage was the basking bulb before? Get the same wattage as you had before, and you shouldnt have any issues. Halogen bulbs burn hotter than regular incandescent bulbs. So a 100 watt halogen will get hotter than a 100 watt incandescent.

I dont know what kind of bulbs you use in your home, but I typically use 40 or 60 watt regular household incandescent bulbs. They get hot enough that you can not touch them with your bare hands unless you want to get burnt. I am confident that if you get a similar wattage spot/flood bulb, you will have similar results. I have not see any proof that the Reptile heat bulbs are any different than standard house bulbs.


I actually have not started using lamps yet. My baby isn't here yet! :) I am going out today or tomorrow to pick up his lamps and start testing heating. And thankyou, for that info! I guess because I never notice any kind of heat when standing under them (but that makes sense, they are also low wattage bulbs). I'm too much of a shortie to reach up and actually touch them!! :) I'm torn on UVB and what to do about it, but if I find the MVB don't get hot enough (I'm sure it will now with this further info), I'll try out the other cheaper method! I just don't want to wrangle more lights than I need to. :(
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: quality bulb

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:57 pm

tylociraptor wrote:I actually have not started using lamps yet. My baby isn't here yet! :) I am going out today or tomorrow to pick up his lamps and start testing heating. And thankyou, for that info! I guess because I never notice any kind of heat when standing under them (but that makes sense, they are also low wattage bulbs). I'm too much of a shortie to reach up and actually touch them!! :) I'm torn on UVB and what to do about it, but if I find the MVB don't get hot enough (I'm sure it will now with this further info), I'll try out the other cheaper method! I just don't want to wrangle more lights than I need to. :(

HAHA my bad, I guess I need to check to see who posted! I was thinking it was Chasen that asked that question, not you. Sorry about that. But if I remember correctly, most Mercury Vapor bulbs are suggested to be hung around 18"? Hopefully others can verify that (I really dont use MVB. I do have one, but it is about 2ft above the basking area to provide the necessary basking temps and use it more for the heat than the UV, its an old bulb).
Brad
User avatar
Chasen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am
Country:
Location: Provincetown, Mass

Re: quality bulb

Postby Chasen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanx Brad. I'm going to just go with one from hardware store then..

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 211 guests