Looking for ideas for tank decoration

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Looking for ideas for tank decoration

Postby skeetersmom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 am

I posted some pics of Skeeters enclosure awhile back - and I am looking to make some changes.

On the left side, I have put in a tube hide, and covered it with flagstone rocks to hide it. But, since I check it at last once a week for...um...defication evidence, taking the rocks out is becoming a chore.

I was thinking of using cork wood,but concerned that, especially in the summer when it is humid, that it would cause issues (Skeeter is an I.J).

I guess I could just pile on the aspen on top of it - but that would be a bit boring for him I would think. He loves the rocks and will keep using them if no alternative method comes to mind, or is suggested...

Does anyone know of anyone who makes the artifical rocks here in the states? I am thinking that would be the prefect solutin...
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Looking for ideas for tank decoration

Postby skeetersmom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:37 pm

well, this post got 17 look sees - but no responses. Guess everyone else, like me, don't know of a different solution - so guess I will stick with what I am using -
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Looking for ideas for tank decoration

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm

You can make your own artificial rocks. Check out lizard landscapes (google it) for a how-to. Then you could make a light-weight removable rock corner piece to go over the tube. You could even make it totally waterproof with silicone if you wanted. Or just water resistant with other sealants (see previously mentioned website).

You could also use the corkbark. Humidity isn't really a big issue with corkbark as long as it's not sitting in water constantly (which your IJ shouldn't be anyways).
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: Looking for ideas for tank decoration

Postby Kbell31 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 pm

FAtal did you ever post pictures of all those projects you and your girlfriend were doing when they were complete? Like the Sphinx and whatnot?
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Looking for ideas for tank decoration

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:04 am

They're not complete. I got banned from working inside the house, and the only times it's been sunny when I'm not working is when my family or friends have volunteered me for something. All my free time seems to be spent cleaning or babysitting. Not to mention looking after the horde. So the projects are sitting on my freezer waiting for me.
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Looking for ideas for tank decoration

Postby skeetersmom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:36 am

After much adu, the solutin "came to me". I can't work the material (terribbly alergic) - but found a thin piece a flagstone that I broke into smaller pieces...works like a charm.

Guess I was trying to make it more difficult than necessary
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 223 guests