How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Older pictures of blueberry:
Image
Image
Image
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Lunaire
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby Lunaire » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:06 pm

AnnaMonroe wrote:Omggggg, sooo cute!! I just want to jump inside my iPad right now and hug the hell out of Kupo LOL.
that's actually a very good point btw.. If it gets a little too big I can just put some substrate in it!
Which side of the enclosure do you recommend this hide should go on?


Depends on what hides you're going to get. :) If you have another good alternative you prefer for basking then use that. I personally use it on the warm side as the material that the exo terra hide is made of warms up nicely. Then I use my smaller hide (that looks different for variety and is interesting for exploring) on the cool side.

Here is Kupo now almost a year old (present) about to crawl down his ramp after basking. Usually he basks with his head facing the same side as the hide entrance and when he's done, he just spins around and slides down his make-shift stone ramp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby Karen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm

I can't wait to get front opening enclosures for my skinks. I bet it's so much easier... What brand is the other hide?
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Lunaire
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby Lunaire » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Karen wrote:I can't wait to get front opening enclosures for my skinks. I bet it's so much easier... What brand is the other hide?


Ohh, yeah, it's definitely easier! Just open the doors and spot-clean, change water etc... I remember having a regular tank for my first reptile (leopard gecko) and it was such a bother in comparison.

That other hide is a CORNER hide I bought at Petsmart. :D I believe it was their in-house brand so you should check Petsmart out. Seeing Kupo doesn't mind running through poop I'll do -anything- to maximize space... corner hides save me. :dead: It fits perfectly too, he sleeps like a kitty in there (in a round circle) or just sits with his head and front arms on the ledge, looking out!
Image
Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
User avatar
Lunaire
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby Lunaire » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:33 pm

... and right when I posted that he walked into his hide lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:11 pm

I think putting it in the middle would be a great idea! I have a basking / hide thingamajig for his hot end, and I'm thinking of putting a XL Habba Hut on the cool end :D
Ugh, Kupo has got to be one of the most beautiful northerns ever lol he's such a model !!!!
I can see him on the cover of BTS Vogue. Lmao!
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:14 pm

XxMonitorLizardxx- The first photo of Blueberry that you posted definitely is an eye catcher! You did a great job capturing him with his tongue out drinking his....blue water!?!? What is that! ShareYourSecret :)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:15 am

:lol: It's only the color of the bowl :lol:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Lol well lucky you, cause that's actually really cool looking!
AidanJames1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 am
Country:
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby AidanJames1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:40 pm

I have an Extra-Large one for my Blue Tongue (he's only small now), but it is big enough for a fully grown one too.
All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Has anyone used these dens? the large or x-large? Its very similar to the other one but seems to have a flatter top, making it more friendly for climbing... Also seems to be sturdier, which is important to me b/c my bluey loves to flip things over.
http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm ... d=SRZ11547

or better yet, has anyone used one of these? I've been interested in using the M or L and decorating the top of the cave as well... anyone have experiences w/ them?
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... -hide-box/
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Lunaire
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby Lunaire » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:02 pm

hot carl wrote:Has anyone used these dens? the large or x-large? Its very similar to the other one but seems to have a flatter top, making it more friendly for climbing... Also seems to be sturdier, which is important to me b/c my bluey loves to flip things over.
http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm ... d=SRZ11547


I actually went from the Zilla to the current Exo Terra XL I have now. The Zilla looked awful in person (at least to me) was a pee-yellow color and was *incredibly* heavy. The Exo Terra is lighter, but hefty, and I never had problems with Kupo pushing it over. It was also better looking in person. I returned the Zilla to pet-co as soon as I received it (I ordered online.)
Image
Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby El Lobo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:33 pm

All mine like to climb over their Exo Terra XL hide without any issues disrupting them. They will occasionally burrow in the substrate under the hide and shift its position but it doesn't overturn.

She is a reasonable size for a blotchy at well over 700gms and will also rub against the outside of the hide when shedding.

DSCF2470CR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby tylociraptor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:07 am

I use these for all my herps out of convenience, I have the largest size in my ball python's tub right now, and he uses it quite a bit. I use smaller ones for my leopard geckos as well. They aren't bad at all, my only issue is if you're clutzy, they can break from a drop on a hard surface. before we did our 'gym' area to have a wooden floor, it was all concrete... and that's where I cleaned. Yikes!

I'm planning on changing out my snakes to some black plastic hides, but I'm def starting out my skink in one of these. We'll see later on if he needs something different/larger from the XL.
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby tylociraptor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:08 am

El Lobo wrote:All mine like to climb over their Exo Terra XL hide without any issues disrupting them. They will occasionally burrow in the substrate under the hide and shift its position but it doesn't overturn.

She is a reasonable size for a blotchy at well over 700gms and will also rub against the outside of the hide when shedding.

DSCF2470CR.jpg



This is actually one of my favorite parts about this hide. The outside and the door have just enough texture to allow for my reptiles to use it doubly as a hiding space and as a shed assistant. For those in more spartan living spaces, this is a great benefit.
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:19 pm

LOL thank you to everyone! You all have definitely helped in my decision to purchase one of these.
I also think its great that they can use this also for shedding!!
Thanks again to everyone who participated :-)
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby Lea » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:38 am

Hi, annamonroe. I have a similar one, not exoterra, but almost the same, just a bit taller, I think. Since its waterproof, I ended up using it outdoors in my outdoor enclosure with some log and rocks around it. It was intended as more of an obstacle, but they still squish themselves into it. Somehow, I don' t know how, I've had four shinglebacks and a full grown eastern, all inside, all at once! They may not look big enough, but if there is any creature who can show us how to "make do" with just the teeniest bit of leg room, it's the shingleback! Kind of "how many elephants can you fit inside a mini" scenario.

They will inevitably make do, with a head hanging out, but obviously, the bigger the better. Spending a lot of time in there may increase risk of deformities, so for big skittish lizards who love to hide, a good size they can stretch out in while they sleep off their hisses-fits, is always going to be better!
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:33 am

Haha thanks LeaBilbly! I appreciate it, I've decided it would definitely be a good purchase(:
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Re: How Many Of You Actually Use(d) This?

Postby ExtremeJustin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am

I think that the containers that most people put Blue Tongues in at reptile shows are about the size of that large container. I'll have to measure mine when I get home.

Karen wrote:I can't wait to get front opening enclosures for my skinks. I bet it's so much easier... What brand is the other hide?


I just bought a front opening enclosure last week. I was going to go with one from glasscages.com at Repticon but there was a tropical storm outside (Tropical Storm Debbie) so I decided to wait. I haven't had time to set it up yet because of work, but I'm hoping to get it set up today and tomorrow and post pictures.

Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 200 guests