Carefresh For Skinks?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
stephster575
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am
Country:

Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby stephster575 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Can I use Carefresh rodent bedding for my skinks? I actually have been using it for a couple months now, as aspen made my skink sneeze. Since I changed, she hasn't been sneezing. However, some of her carefresh got in her water, and I noticed it expanded. Aspen doesn't really do this. She doesn't ingest her bedding, but if she were to by accident, would this be hazardous?

So basically my question is; Is Carefresh safe to use for my gorgeous skinks? The aspen I get has a bit of dust to it (it was all aspen, not a mix), and I like the Carefresh because it doesn't have this. Is it okay to use?

Thank you! :)
I LOVE animals~! <3
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 pm

It is ok! I don't use it myself, but many others do. If anyone tells you that there is only one way to keep your BTS, don't listen to anything else they say. There are multiple ways to meet the needs of of blueys. The best thing to do is to ask before you do it if you are not sure - exactly like you did.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby Jenn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:00 am

I have used carefresh in the past and it's been fine. The only thing I would recommend watching is how your skink sheds. I found that some of my guys had a harder time shedding with it. This was easily solved by just adding a humid hide to the tank around shedding time.
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby Alioop » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 am

I bought a bag of it so my skinks had something nice & soft to burrow into when they were brumating this past winter. Now I'm mixing it with aspen just to use the rest of it up. No issues so far, aside from the fact that it is rather dry.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I found that care fresh had a lot more 'dust' when used, and can really dry out your tank. I'm sure it would work great though for any normal skink, as long as you keep in mind the dryness of your tank :)
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
Country:

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby tiliqua38 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:34 am

I tried Carefresh once many years ago. It is more drying than anything else, including aspen. But my complaint about it was that it is too "soft" for a larger lizard. Bubba would just sink right down to the glass bottom. The aspen compacts and holds his weight more when he walks across it. It's also awesome for burrowing.
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:36 am

I do not like Carefresh, both because of how dry it is, and because I had a skink who got the fibers wrapped around his toes. It's not something I'd be terribly worried about happening, but it did colour my already-negative opinion of Carefresh.
Snickers :)
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Postby Snickers :) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:37 pm

I use carefresh for Snickers and he seems to do well with it, I do find I need to add extra humidity when he sheds though since it's rather dry.
A bird enthusiast with a skink!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 324 guests