impaction? :/

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: impaction? :/

Postby LarissaLurid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 pm

Katrina wrote:
LarissaLurid wrote:I'm just kind of worried that it was my fault bc I gave him brocolli a bit through the month. I forgot how it's high in oxalates i think it was and was stupid and put it into his meals. :[[[ Does anyone think that could be why he stopped going to the bathroom and when he tries only urine comes out?? :/


A tiny bit of broccoli won't hurt anything. Unless you fed him only broccoli for months that has nothing to do with it. Could he have eaten anything else that might cause impaction? If not, I wouldn't worry too much. Is he still eating? An impacted skink won't eat. I throw broccoli into my skinks meals on occasion, it is good for variety.


Nope nothing else at all :/ I even chop his foods into like extremely tiny tiny pieces. GOOD NEWS THOUGH!!! He just had his bath today and finally went poo. It was only a very very tiny amount, but that's definitely a good sign! So looks like he is starting to feel better now. Thank you and thanks to everyone else who gave their input. Hopefully I won't have to worry anymore and he will go back to eating normally and using the bathroom normally again soon.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: impaction? :/

Postby LarissaLurid » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:22 am

It still bothers me that I don't know what happened though, during this he has barely been eating, but didn't completely stop he has had like a bite of food instead of how he usually chows down his meals lol. But yea I didn't feed him broccoli for months or anything. And for a long time he was not able to poo when he tried, but like I said hopefully now that he went a little it's a sign that things should be getting better I suppose. :]

I'm curious, has anyone else experienced this with their skink though? It just seems like it happened for no reason, which leaves me wondering what might have caused him to mostly stop eating and not being able to use the bathroom
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: impaction? :/

Postby Katrina » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 am

They go off food for periods of time for no reason at all quite often. They don't need to eat all that much or all that often, so barely eating for weeks is no concern. It sounds like you are worrying over nothing, if there is no reason to suspect impaction then he just isn't pooping because he hasn't been eating. Less to clean up! :D
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: impaction? :/

Postby LarissaLurid » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:35 am

Well not eating doesn't worry me as much as how every single time i saw him try to go to the bathroom, he'd lift his tail and really be trying then only a tiny bit of urine would come out. that's what really concerned me bc that wasn't just him not being hungry, that was him not going properly which ik wasn't normal. but yea like i said, hopefully there is nothing to worry about now that he went to the bathroom a little.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 252 guests