Heating, substrate etc

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Heating, substrate etc

Postby skeetersmom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Hello everyone,

Relatively new here - and still loving the forum :) I have read the care sheet a couple of times, and still have a couple of questions - for now that is.

I have had Skeeter for a few months - he was in a 40L tank lined with newspaper, a water dish and hide along with a couple of wadded up papertowels to "burrow" in.

When I got him home, I put him in a larger tank but still lined with newspaper (didn't want to overstress him with totally new surroundings). Eventually, I put shredded aspen as substrate - and he stayed in his hide for a week before I broke down and put the newspaper lining down - and out he came...but I was determined to give him as much of a natural envrironment as possible. So I went out and bought a paper shredder, and shredded plain, unprinted on paper. He is happy with it, but concerned - knowing all paper is chemically treated. He dosen't chomp on it, but just want to make sure it is safe. A small portion of the enclosure (warm side) is lined with tile -which is where he is fed - so that minimizes the risk of him getting paper with his meal.

Next question is heating. I set up a basking rock for him which he now uses - but if I have it as hot as the care sheet says (90 degrees F) he won't go near it..I did the hand test with it, and it seems fine to me (not so hot that I feel it burning)...when I lower the temp to around 80 he is fine with it. Is that temp high enough to aid in digestion?

Sorry for the drawn out explainiation/question - just thought the more infor would make easier answers.

One other - does anyone have suggestions for "toys"? - other than paper boxes. I am away during the day, and would like to keep him as entertained as possible. I do keep the radio on for him (as for my dogs) - I have discovered he preferrs Rock-n-Role over classical :)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 pm

are u using a heat rock?or have u got bulb shining on rock?

sounds like heat rocks,they can be pretty risky,also if u can get a thermometer and test the actual temps,that would be wise,you mentioned testing by feeling,but then said u lowered it to 80 now which he uses,but wouldnt use before

never go off the temps on thermostats,there very inconsistant,thats where checking temps comes in handy,lets u set up temps on temp controls/thermostats going off the thermometers findings,what we think may be fine can be way to hot,in your case he didnt go near rock originally,to hot,to now using it at 80,so using it now,but not determined if its hot enough,as can just lay on it to try and get warm enough but not get his body temp up to a level he needs


im not sure if its a hot rock though,just a hunch,the thing with them is in a cold cage,the lizard is forced to use it to try gaining heat,if to hot,can cause burns,or if it stays away cause its to hot,then he could get sick

main thing id suggest though is check those temps

paper can be ok,watch claws though,or add rock ect for them to climb on,helps wear nails a bit and gives them something to aid shedding

as for toys,just add exploring areas,even a log to climb,lots of hidey holes ect ect
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby Katrina » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Are you sure you are measuring the temperatures correctly? Are you using a digit temperature gun that you can get a reading of the surface temperature of the basking spot from? I made that mistake when I was new - I was measuring the ambient air temperature on the hot end with just a stuck on thermometer on the side of the enclosure... so if the air above the basking spot was 95 F, the basking spot was too hot. When I got a temperature gun and measured the temperature of the actual basking surface it was higher than I thought.

Just offer a surface temperature of about 95F and a cool end and let him chose - if you are sure the temps are correct, then some will spend much more time on the cool end and some will spent more time basking, but they can figure out what they need. The newspaper sounds fine.

For toys - mine like things to climb over or check out, things like drift wood or wood pieces, raised hides, rocks etc. They don't play much but they do clamber over things and seem to check them out. :D
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby skeetersmom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:17 am

Definately not heat rock - learned that lesson several years ago with a snake - not a positive outcome.

I have a digital thermometer with a probe to check the temp on the rock (putting the probe directly on the rock). When the temp read 90-95 degrees, he stayed away from it, when the temp on the surface of the rock is 80 he spends a lot of time there. I do check the temperatures at the level he is in (next to the paper substrate)

I was thinking just this morning that perhaps I should use a rheostate to gradually increase the bulb strength to bring the rock surface temperature up to 95. I have one coming in on Wednesday. That way he can gradually get used to the increased temperature. The rock is a natural one, smooth surface, and large enough for his entire body (including tail) to be on it.

Sorry I didn't mention that he has three logs to climb on - which he does often..one on the warm side, one in the middle, and one on the cool side.

I really like the digital probes - less expensive than the guns, but still give ability to check different locations. I have digital thermometers in all my enclosures. I also have snakes and hermit crabs.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby Richard.C » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:43 pm

yep the probe ones are good,accurate,the plus with the temp guns is its faster to check plus u can run around checking temps here there and every where,lol

wasnt sure if you were using a heat rock or had checked temps already so just put some ideas to try,glad its not a hot rock,lol

back to temps on the basking rock,if cooler like u said,80 degrees,he may lay on it longer to try to up his temps,but never be able to elevate his body temp to his preffered body temp,which id say is high 80,s

the thing with offering the warmer basking spot is to allow him to bask till he gets to his preffered body temp,then he can go and do his thing,they have times when they want to be warmer and cooler to,eg after eating they normally seek warmth

reading what your lizard does is a good way to see what it prefers,i like to add more heat than they would usually need but also more cool down the other end,in that way if they are always basking its obviously a bit cold,or if they never go to bask to hot
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby skeetersmom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:37 pm

He has a cool side and a warm side (where the basking/heating rock is. The cool side is 75-80 degrees, and the temp on the rock surface is 80-85 degrees (all F). He spends time in the subsrate on the warm side, and in the middle of the enclosure - only really goes on the cool side when doing his "run around" of the enclosure. I know these guys are like bearded dragons in that they need the warmth to help them digest - thus my concern.

Like I said, he never had a basking rock till he came to me. He does use it now for about 1/2 hour after feeding (once a week) but again, only 80-85 degrees. I will try upping the temp gradually and see what happens and let you know. I am really thankful for rheyostats - much better than thermostates.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Yeah, I would try to up it to about 90-95F. If he has a gradient from 75F - 95F to choose from he will figure out the temperatures he needs. Some of mine don't bask very often, but they all bask at times. Some bask almost all the time, seems like it varies a bit between individuals. :D
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby Richard.C » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:52 pm

rheostats are good for adjusting temps,u can get thermostats that do it to though,pricier though,the plus with thermostats is in real hot weather,they shut heat off,or automaticly dimm the lights for you,if you arent home for example

your temps may be fine,he may be able to get warm enough staying in middle of the cage,he knows he has a basking place if he needs to warm up,like u said after a meal,your back ground temps(cool end low) are actually reasonably warm,so id say hes quite content,where i live it can get darned cold down the cool end,or in hot weather can get real hot,inconsistent,so i try to make huge temp gradients to cover that if that makes sense

i try to aim for 35 to 40 for my lot at hottest spot of basking area,celcius,but if it gets cool the temp at basking spot fluctuates,sometimes they use it alot,sometimes they hang outside the basking area,but they go where they want temp wise
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Heating, substrate etc

Postby skeetersmom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:25 am

Thanks for all the imput. I have a tendency to be a "mother hen" with creatures I have not cared for before come around...tons of research etc.

A happy creature is...well...a happy creature :)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 221 guests