Meal Time Pics + Questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Meal Time Pics + Questions

Postby NennaMeerkat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:01 pm

So I am upping the number of days I feed my skink since I think he looks a little more slim than I would like. I am also upping the amount of greens he gets as well. Today bought some brussel sprouts, dandelion greens (finally talked the local small grocer to stock it), yellow squash, and sweet potato. Went back to the canned Blue Buffalo since it mixes with the greens better. Fed Mr. Blue today and pictures are below, got some really awesome shots. But I have a few questions:

1. After feeding and there is a good portion left how is the best way to store it for later in the week feeding?
2. Does anyone think there would be harm in feeding a little bit of the leftovers to my bearded dragon?
3. How long do opened can of dog food last in the fridge in a plastic zip lock bag?
4. Is it normal for skinks to get overly excited about their food and bite and anything/everything before being fed?

#4 is the more important since Mr Blue has been really trying to get at my hands, water bowl, food dish, and anything else I mess with while making room for his food dish in his tank. And even when food isn't around he is really getting spunky and has tried to bite at my hands a few times. Should I take him out of his tank to eat?

Anyways here are some pictures:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Meal Time Pics + Questions

Postby Linnea » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:42 pm

4. as for all skinks i think it depends. but some get really excited when seeing food. litchie bites his food bowl when he is hungry and i come with food, so i try to be quick when putting in the food and always have short cut nails and washed hands to avoid any food smell. i also put in food early in the morning before he is fully awake/speedy.
he has never showed interest in biting my fingers however, so this is not something i know much about! im sorry i dont have proper advice apart from telling you what ive seen.

i think that skink and skink meal looks lovely!

1. if you have put it into the terrarium i wouldnt freeze it or store it for a later meal as bacteria has had time to grow in optimal temps.
however, if you make a large amount of food and put in regular freezer bags......its just that simple ;D since some vitamins get lost while freezing, maybe add extra vitamins if you freeze extra portions all the time?
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: Meal Time Pics + Questions

Postby NennaMeerkat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the response :) I suppose that my hands did smell pretty delicious since I didn't wash my hands after mixing up the greens and dog food. I will remember to do that next time.

Also if I put it in the tank until he got done eating (which took maybe 8 min) and then took it out and straight into the bag and fridge do you think it would still be not okay to save it? I don't like to leave food in the tank if I am not there since Mr. Blue has a habit of scattering food everywhere if I leave it in after he is done.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Meal Time Pics + Questions

Postby Katrina » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 am

After a few mines you could put it in the fridge, or just feed half and put the other half away for next time. I store leftovers in tupperware and try to feed them within the week. :D

One of mine gets very excited for feedings - I always feed on blue tupperware lids and Sam knows this and lunges at them and sometimes bites the side of the dish. :lol: Sam isn't bitey otherwise, just with tupperware lids. I would make sure your hands don't smell like food and that not all interactions involve feeding, so he doesn't associate you with only food. I've found younger skinks have a much stronger feeding response, after about 18 months they don't go quite so crazy for food, so it will probably get a lot better with age. :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 270 guests