wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby sd reptiles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Does someone use wood pellets as substrate?
I want to hear some experiences about it. :wink:
Or does someone uses strawpellets?
http://reptiles.japanese-koi.co.uk/herb ... trate.html
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby sd reptiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 am

Or lucerne pellets?
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby sd reptiles » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm

UP!
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby Karen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 pm

If I remember right El Lobo does, but it might have been another kind of pellet, not sure.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby sd reptiles » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:18 pm

I use now reptibark but its a litle dusty.
So i now looking for another substrate but i dont know what.
I read on the net that rabbit food or alfalfa pellets are verry good and some people say dont use that :?
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby Karen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Substrates seem to be one of those polarizing things where everyone has their own favorite. I'm using Reptibark as well. I mist it every now and then and the dust doesn't seem to be too big of a problem. Sylvia doesn't mind at least, which is good enough for me.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby El Lobo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I use a compressed sawdust pellet called Oz Pet but it is probably only available in Australia. There is a Canadian product which is very similar called (I think) Woody Pets. I find them good as when wet they break back down into sawdust so it is easy to find wet areas and remove the sawdust. Another advantage is urine doesn't pass through to the enclosure floor and pool which is the main reason I stopped using Reptibark, together with the fact it was very dusty and expensive. There may be an equivalent in Europe but check to make certain any such wood pellets are free of aromatic hydrocarbons.

I would be cautious with rabbit pellets or anything similar made from alfalfa. It has a tendency to develop mould when wet.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
Country:
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: wood pellets and straw pellets, pro and contra...

Postby Lauriek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I also use Oz Pet available only here in Australia but the US/Canadian equivalent is Woody Pet.
I find Oz Pet very absorbent and low dust. My shingles tend to upset their water bowl more than the blotchies.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 298 guests