Skink Photo Op

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Skink Photo Op

Postby Kbell31 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Booored today so I decided to take some pictures. I wonder if I would take this many of my kid if I had one....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby WanderingChai » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Aww! I <3 the indo neck :)
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm

How long is he? Cool merauke.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby Spindown » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:38 pm

What a beautiful merauke! I love the pensive looking out the window picture. Is it pure? I ask because that double striping is crazy awesome but very strange.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby Katrina » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Gorgeous!!! Beautiful skink!!

Sapphire - Meraukes come with all sorts of paint jobs. :wink: What makes it "pure" or not is just our definitions of what a Merauke should look like. There is an insane range of colors and looks that T gigas evanescens can come in, but we can't really judge if it is pure because no one knows enough about the BTS found on Indonesia, so there aren't really clear lines on what is Merauke vs IJ and for all we know there are other subspecies as well that could be identified.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby Spindown » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:26 pm

true enough :) I didnt mean any disrespect if it was a mix, some of those mixes are jaw dropping! I was just curious because i've seen "classic" Meraukes, and I apparently have a "New Form Merauke" and this guys was totally different! I was preparing to be even more excited about Meraukes (if possible) than i was before! :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby Kbell31 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Thank you all :) As of January 14, Indah was 22 inches and 1.76lbs. I have seen a lot of Merauke pics but havent seen any others with the double bands like she has. Im sure they are out there though but for now I will take her unusual characteristics!
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 am

Gorgeous! Love the picture looking out the window, I bet she can't wait to get out to explore! :D
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby Katrina » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 am

SapphireTigress wrote:true enough :) I didnt mean any disrespect if it was a mix, some of those mixes are jaw dropping! I was just curious because i've seen "classic" Meraukes, and I apparently have a "New Form Merauke" and this guys was totally different! I was preparing to be even more excited about Meraukes (if possible) than i was before! :)


I didn't think you meant any disrespect, I was just trying to explain that the "classic" and "new form" are just terms people have come up with to describe a look. I think I probably didn't explain it properly... there isn't any scientific basis or any kind of formula to distinguish those, it is just based on personal opinion. Same with the IJ vs Merauke IDing - it is just people's opinion of what an IJ looks like and whether any given skink looks more Merauke or more IJ... It isn't like, say Pewter corn snakes, where you know that if you breed Charcoal with Bloodred you will likely get some Pewters based on the genetics and probability involved.

Basically, those names are just ones that some people have come up with the better explain what they are looking at. So there is absolutely no way to tell if this is a mix or unpure, because we don't have enough info to know what "pure" is. We have no idea what the parents might look like to produce a Merauke like that. I know you didn't mean disrespect at all, I was just trying to say that anything like that is speculation. We just don't know enough. We could make up some sort of new name to describe this look of Merauke with the cool double banding, but that doesn't mean that it is its own locale or it is its own form and there is no way to say that a Merauke that appears to have some double banding but some "classic" characteristics is a mix of the two.

Does this make better sense? All we know is that Meraukes have AMAZING variation and come in a huge range of patters and colors. We call some "classics" and some "newer form", but this is based on absolutely nothing except someone's opinion on the look of a skink. It doesn't have anything to do with genetics or parents as far as we know. So we have no way of knowing if this skink is a mix, all we know is that it has a different paint job than we are used to seeing. To know if it is pure or if it is a mix, we need to know what pure is and how to identify it. So far we don't know that... we just know that there is LOTS of variation and lots that we can't really describe the look of. This might be some exciting new look, I'm always spotting Meraukes that I haven't seen others like before. That is why I love them so much!!

Let me know if I am explaining it properly. I know you didn't mean disrespect at all. :D
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby Spindown » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 am

ah yes, that made more sense, thank you for clarifying :) I am always paranoid that i'm coming off as rude when i'm not trying to be LOL...I do love Meraukes :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby Susann » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:59 pm

I LOVE Indah's pattern!!!
Panana_Blue has one with a similar pattern, but those are the only two I've seen with that gorgeous pattern.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Skink Photo Op

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Similar pattern. No double striping:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15850
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 218 guests