Mr. Blue Finally Shed
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Mr. Blue Finally Shed
So I went to turn off lights for nighttime and I noticed Mr. Blue was in the midst of shedding. Looked like he got most of his back and legs shed as well as his head. However his tail wasn't shed and none of his toes. Since this is my first time dealing with a BTS that is shedding what are tips that anyone can give me or other things to look out for? Is it normal for them to shed different parts at different times or do they generally shed their entire body all at once?
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
Re: Mr. Blue Finally Shed
Just leave it alone for about 2 days.
After that, if there is any leftover shed try soaking him. I lightly mist my tank when my animals are shedding.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
- missmacabre
- Rat Girl

- Posts: 1023
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 am
- Country:
- Location: New Zealand
Re: Mr. Blue Finally Shed
They shed different parts over a couple of days. Give him a soak in lukewarm water if any around the toes doesn't look like it's coming off. Sometimes you can just pick it off with your finger nails, prepare for the huffing that will ensue though 
Jess <:3 )~
1 male Eastern BTS: Onyxia
1 male Bearded Dragon: Falkor
1 Green and Golden Bell Frog
5 male Rats: Anubis, Ice, Riff Raff, Tobias and Templeton
2 female Budgies: Remy and Emile
1 male Mouse: Archie (aka Mouseman)
-
A.VinczeBTs
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 133
- Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Re: Mr. Blue Finally Shed
I went through my first shed too a week ago! Although I misted before hand (thought he might be shedding), and he has rocks and coco husk on the bottom, so he spent like 3 hours just moving UNDER all the bark until he was clean as a button.
Misting probably helped though, and the rocks!
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Mr. Blue Finally Shed
missmacabre wrote:They shed different parts over a couple of days. Give him a soak in lukewarm water if any around the toes doesn't look like it's coming off. Sometimes you can just pick it off with your finger nails, prepare for the huffing that will ensue though
Oh I have no doubt he will be throwing a HUGE hissy fit (literally) if I have to mess with him. He already tells me off all the time
I will be sure to check his toes the day after tomorrow (Saturday) to make sure they shed off okay. Probably will give him a soak anyways since I do that to him at least once a week. Ever since I got him in mid December he has had some pretty bad scales in general. Soaking seems to help, and he seems to enjoy gulping down the warm water (since he still enjoys burying his water dish).
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Mr. Blue Finally Shed
Just wanted to give an update...
I got all the unshed skin off his toes and tail and it seemed like more than one layer came off when I did his tail. Could it be possible I helped get old shed removed that might not have come off last time?
Also it seems that the lower part of his jaw and most of his mouth did not shed BUT I can't get near his mouth and jaw to even attempt to get it off. And I can't seem to figure out a way to soak his head without just dunking it (which can't be a good thing). When he yawned today it sounded like a creaky old door opening/closing.
I got all the unshed skin off his toes and tail and it seemed like more than one layer came off when I did his tail. Could it be possible I helped get old shed removed that might not have come off last time?
Also it seems that the lower part of his jaw and most of his mouth did not shed BUT I can't get near his mouth and jaw to even attempt to get it off. And I can't seem to figure out a way to soak his head without just dunking it (which can't be a good thing). When he yawned today it sounded like a creaky old door opening/closing.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Mr. Blue Finally Shed
It's common to get a couple layers off if there was old shed stuck, good stuff.
To soak the head put the skink in a shallow, warm bath and place a small piece of paper towel over the head and draping into the water. Don't cover the nostrils. The paper towel soaks up the water and moistens the shed on the face. You can also use a damp facecloth to gently rub over the places where shed is stuck, which can remove shed and also keeps your fingers safe.
To soak the head put the skink in a shallow, warm bath and place a small piece of paper towel over the head and draping into the water. Don't cover the nostrils. The paper towel soaks up the water and moistens the shed on the face. You can also use a damp facecloth to gently rub over the places where shed is stuck, which can remove shed and also keeps your fingers safe.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Mr. Blue Finally Shed
Thanks Fatal! Tomorrow I will try it for sure. He had enough today with me messing with his tail and feet. He is hiding right now under a comforter on my couch, all up beside me. I keep telling him that "I know I am squishy but don't bite my thigh".
Hopefully I can get his face shed off tomorrow, couldn't imagine that being comfortable!
Hopefully I can get his face shed off tomorrow, couldn't imagine that being comfortable!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 229 guests
