I just checked out the "Medical Advice" page and now I'm being a worry wart again. But better safe than sorry, right? When I saw the respiratory it mentioned sneezing, and I do hear Irwin sneeze. Should I worry? I use aspen bedding, and I know that produces some dust.
Also, can you tell me what a skink's normal breathing looks and sounds like? The medical advice said to watch out for labored breathing, and since this is my first skink and I've only had him for a week, I don't know if I'd notice the difference. I'd like to be prepared, as well as have something else to check if the sneezing is in fact a problem.
More advice for the newbie?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
More advice for the newbie?
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: More advice for the newbie?
Sneezing is perfectly normal. Since they do burrow in their substrate, their noses are likely to get irritated, thus causing them to sneeze. What you would want to keep an eye out is for moisture coming from eyes and nose as well as excessive sneezing.
Some posted a great video of labored breathing. Ill look for it and link it to this page. I think BTS in general breath heavily.
Some posted a great video of labored breathing. Ill look for it and link it to this page. I think BTS in general breath heavily.
Brad
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: More advice for the newbie?
Thank you! I had a feeling he'd just need to clear his nose once in awhile. I've kept an eye out and there's no eye or nose moisture:) I'd really apperciate the video!
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: More advice for the newbie?
Here is the link to the thread I was thinking of.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19406
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19406
Brad
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: More advice for the newbie?
Thanks!
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Tanith
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 45
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 pm
- Country:
- Location: Manitoba
Re: More advice for the newbie?
I also use aspen bedding and my bluey used to sneeze A LOT! I find that slightly misting his terrarium every 2 to 3 days has really helped and now he sneezes less.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: More advice for the newbie?
Be aware though, that the skink breating heavy in the video is due to pregnancy. Not RI or sickness.
I find normal breathing in BTS to be very erratic. Sometimes it's deep, sometimes very shallow, sometimes breaths are close together, sometimes awfully far apart, and it's ALL healthy, normal breathing.
Sneezing is totally normal, even when it happens often. When you worry is if you see discharge or wetness from the nose or eyes.
It can be very hard to determine health from just their breathing. I think mainly because their normal breathing can vary so much.
I would suggest you just spend the next few weeks just observing his breathing as you watch and interact with him. Pay attention to how he breathes when he's sleeping, relaxed, moving, eating, climbing around, etc. And try not to worry.
I know it's hard to trust yourself when you aren't familiar with what you're seeing or even looking for. But I can try to calm you with the same thing you may have read or heard from others regarding not just BTS but other animals or your children: once you are used to them, you will KNOW when something is "off". Most often you get more than just one sign when they aren't well.
When Joey got pneumonia, I first noticed his breathing was constantly shallow, he was only taking very shallow breaths. (In a deep breath you will see the area both in front of and behind the front legs move. In a shallow breath you will only see the area in front of the front legs move.) I woke him up, and got him out and moving around. He was very slow, seemed tired, but most importantly, his breathing didn't change with movement, it remained very shallow. The only thing that changed was that he started breathing very often, but still just as shallow. It never got to where he was "panting" or breathing with his mouth open, but I knew something was "off". And then, with hindsight, I recalled that he hadn't been as active as he normally was, and his appetite had been poor, but in and of themselves, those things were nothing to get alarmed about. ALONG WITH the cronically shallow breating however, it gave me more confirmation that something was wrong.
So try to just observe him closely, get used to what his "normals" are, and trust that you will KNOW when something is worth seriously worrying about.
My motto is absolutely "better safe than sorry"! There's nothing wrong with worrying about your critters, and there's never anything wrong with asking questions.
Something you can do to help yourself feel better, if you have the means, is find a good reptile vet, and go see him while Irwin is well. This way you get a feel for the vet, and also a good opportunity to ask what your rescources are in emergencies. Because, I quickly found out, even though there are lots of clinics and hospitals for pets after-hours, there was not one single vet on-call in any of those places who was qualified for reptiles on the night of our emergency. So we had to wait till morning.
I find normal breathing in BTS to be very erratic. Sometimes it's deep, sometimes very shallow, sometimes breaths are close together, sometimes awfully far apart, and it's ALL healthy, normal breathing.
Sneezing is totally normal, even when it happens often. When you worry is if you see discharge or wetness from the nose or eyes.
It can be very hard to determine health from just their breathing. I think mainly because their normal breathing can vary so much.
I would suggest you just spend the next few weeks just observing his breathing as you watch and interact with him. Pay attention to how he breathes when he's sleeping, relaxed, moving, eating, climbing around, etc. And try not to worry.
I know it's hard to trust yourself when you aren't familiar with what you're seeing or even looking for. But I can try to calm you with the same thing you may have read or heard from others regarding not just BTS but other animals or your children: once you are used to them, you will KNOW when something is "off". Most often you get more than just one sign when they aren't well.
When Joey got pneumonia, I first noticed his breathing was constantly shallow, he was only taking very shallow breaths. (In a deep breath you will see the area both in front of and behind the front legs move. In a shallow breath you will only see the area in front of the front legs move.) I woke him up, and got him out and moving around. He was very slow, seemed tired, but most importantly, his breathing didn't change with movement, it remained very shallow. The only thing that changed was that he started breathing very often, but still just as shallow. It never got to where he was "panting" or breathing with his mouth open, but I knew something was "off". And then, with hindsight, I recalled that he hadn't been as active as he normally was, and his appetite had been poor, but in and of themselves, those things were nothing to get alarmed about. ALONG WITH the cronically shallow breating however, it gave me more confirmation that something was wrong.
So try to just observe him closely, get used to what his "normals" are, and trust that you will KNOW when something is worth seriously worrying about.
My motto is absolutely "better safe than sorry"! There's nothing wrong with worrying about your critters, and there's never anything wrong with asking questions.
Something you can do to help yourself feel better, if you have the means, is find a good reptile vet, and go see him while Irwin is well. This way you get a feel for the vet, and also a good opportunity to ask what your rescources are in emergencies. Because, I quickly found out, even though there are lots of clinics and hospitals for pets after-hours, there was not one single vet on-call in any of those places who was qualified for reptiles on the night of our emergency. So we had to wait till morning.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: More advice for the newbie?
That is really helpful (all of you)! I have mist for his terrarium, so I'll try that. And I'll definitely be sure to watch Irwin and get used to his normal behaviour. I'm still so fascinated with him thatit definitely wont be a chore to watch him:)
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: More advice for the newbie?
I'm still so fascinated with him thatit definitely wont be a chore to watch him:)
LOL Rosie, depending on where he is in the house, he may spend more time watching you! Mine all oogle me like crazy, its so cute!
LOL Rosie, depending on where he is in the house, he may spend more time watching you! Mine all oogle me like crazy, its so cute!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: More advice for the newbie?
Do they really? How sweet haha! I love how alert blueys are
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: More advice for the newbie?
SapphireTigress wrote:LOL Rosie, depending on where he is in the house, he may spend more time watching you! Mine all oogle me like crazy, its so cute!
same. my bluey comes to the front of his tank when i walk in the room.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 333 guests
