Possible Poop Problems...?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Possible Poop Problems...?
So I just got my first BTS (first reptile actually!) On Saturday at the LA Reptile Super Show. I did a lot of research before I got one (thank goodness for this site), but I'm having one small problem. I haven't found any poop... I was told by his previous owner that he is about six months old, is it just too small to see? Thank you!
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
They aren't too small to see, but lots of BTS are really good at hiding them
Besides, not every BTS will poop every time it eats. Some can go quite a few days in between. Weeks even.
Have you gotten yours to eat already? That's pretty good.
No worries on the poop. You'll get used to your little guy's schedule. They are all different.
Besides, not every BTS will poop every time it eats. Some can go quite a few days in between. Weeks even.
Have you gotten yours to eat already? That's pretty good.
No worries on the poop. You'll get used to your little guy's schedule. They are all different.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Oh thank you so much! And yes I've fed him twice, however he did eat more meat than greens, the little brat:)
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Welcome to the forum 
Stress can make a reptile not go for a while. One of my first skinks held it for about a month (then let it out all over me). Be patient and try not to worry.
Stress can make a reptile not go for a while. One of my first skinks held it for about a month (then let it out all over me). Be patient and try not to worry.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Is it possible that he might be constipated for the amount of protein he ate? I know if I eat more meat than greens I end up clogged up XD
In all seriousness though is it even possible for BTS to become constipated?
In all seriousness though is it even possible for BTS to become constipated?
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Sure it's possible for a BTS to be constipated, but not any reason at this point to worry a new owner with a random possibility from picking out a bit more of the meat from a meal.
Really, no reason AT ALL to worry at this point.
Really, no reason AT ALL to worry at this point.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Oh yeah I wasn't trying to make anyone worry...sorry if I came off that way...simply curious on the whole constipation thing. Heard of impaction cause of eating bedding, but didn't know if normal constipation is possible. But now I know.
Good luck with your new BTS original poster! I would hope to see pictures soon if you haven't posted some already!
Good luck with your new BTS original poster! I would hope to see pictures soon if you haven't posted some already!
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Additional facts: If anyone is really worried about their skink not pooping there are some ways to increase your chances. You can feed banana and/or egg, both of which are much loved by most skinks and tend to cause large, stinky poops. You can also give a skink a warm bath and/or take it out to move around, both of which tend to make a skink need to go. Just FYI 
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Thank you everyone:) My horse experience makes me very concerned when an animal doesn't poop! I will definitely post a picture next time I actually get on the computer, I've been using my phone. Thanks again:)
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
There is considerable difference between the gastrointestinal tract of a horse and a bluey.
Unlike blueys, horses are hindgut fermenters with most nutrients being absorbed through the fermentation process of the caecum, rather than the small and large intestines like the bluey.
Unlike blueys, horses are hindgut fermenters with most nutrients being absorbed through the fermentation process of the caecum, rather than the small and large intestines like the bluey.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
Well I didn't know that but I knew there would be considerable difference. I only meant that my horse experience has caused me to be a worry wart about poop:)
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Alioop
- Loopy De Loop

- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Possible Poop Problems...?
RosiePosie06 wrote:Well I didn't know that but I knew there would be considerable difference. I only meant that my horse experience has caused me to be a worry wart about poop:)
I hear that sista!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 269 guests
