best type of substrate

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Fernando
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:00 pm
Country:
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: best type of substrate

Postby Fernando » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll keep that in mind.
1.2 Hermann tortoises
1.0 Veiled Chamelon
0.0.1 Irian Jaya
0.1.0 Havanese pup
1 Wife
1 Son

Visit us at http://www.tortoiseinfo.org
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: best type of substrate

Postby WanderingChai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Sorry about this- but I have a question.

Is it possible to use EcoEarth? Since I already buy it for my hermit crabs(that I love oh so very much :D ) it wouldn't be a huge problem and I love the way it looks. It is very moist, but could you potentially just break it up with your hands instead of using the water method(as in having it be dry-ish)?

Just wondering, this is a great thread!
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: best type of substrate

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:32 pm

I've used it before, I have only found it to be dusty.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Blucas
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 am
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: best type of substrate

Postby Blucas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 am

WanderingChai wrote:Sorry about this- but I have a question.

Is it possible to use EcoEarth? Since I already buy it for my hermit crabs(that I love oh so very much :D ) it wouldn't be a huge problem and I love the way it looks. It is very moist, but could you potentially just break it up with your hands instead of using the water method(as in having it be dry-ish)?

Just wondering, this is a great thread!


Instead of breaking it with your hands if you wanted it dried out you can expand it as normal but then bake it in the oven, it's what I did for my tarantula. :thumbs:
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: best type of substrate

Postby ShortStack » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:35 am

I'm thinking of switching, too. I have aspen now, and it makes me sneeze like crazy when I spot clean/change Coby's bedding. I'm also revamping his tank some, and think a darker substrate will look better. I'm thinking of trying repti-bark, but not quite sure yet. I may just have to go look around and even go through a couple until I find one I like the best. I'm curious though- Can they burrow easily in repti-bark? I'm not sure if it varies depending on your bluey, but Coby loooooooooooves to burrow. I can't have something that he can't do that easily in because then he may protest cuddling with me and watching t.v. and that just won't do :)
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: best type of substrate

Postby Karen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:04 am

I just recently started trying out Reptibark and Sylvia seems to like it. She doesn't so much burrow as dig out little hollows in her hides, but I'm not sure if that is her preference or directly related to the substrate. If you do try out Reptibark, would probably be best to freeze it before using, just to be careful.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Toxique
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: best type of substrate

Postby Toxique » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Reptibark, while expensive, is working great for my boy. I switched him from cypress mulch due to the fact that I found bugs within the mulch, not mites, but creepy crawlies i didn't want in the tank none the less.
1.0.0 Mortimer, Irian Jaya BTS
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: best type of substrate

Postby Kbell31 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:44 pm

I switched from aspen to repti bark. I originally was going to try cypress until I read about the environmental concerns that go along with harvesting it. I was worried about finding bugs in the repti bark as others have mentioned so I just left the entire bag outside for a few days when temps were dropping below freezing at night. I have not seen any creepy crawlies as of yet. It is suprisingly light, and I can't tell either way if it my skink minds or not. The aspen always did make me sneeze so the repti bark is better for that and I think being darker it looks asthetically nicer. I only have the one skink so I guess it would be $$$ for people with an entire tribe of them.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: best type of substrate

Postby Susann » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:36 pm

ShortStack wrote:Can they burrow easily in repti-bark?

Maddie says:
IMG_1930.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
nakerz_loves_bts
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 am
Country:
Location: Jimboomba, Queensland, Australia

Re: best type of substrate

Postby nakerz_loves_bts » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:25 pm

I use 'Kitty's Crumble' and it is some good stuff. It can be a little dusty towards the bottom of the bag, but my blues don't seem to mind too much. The only problems with it are that I never see more than a poorly covered back most of the time and I have to spend ages trying to find stuff they have buried (like poo, urates, shed skin, the food bowl...)
caleb! ;) AUSSIE PRIDE!!!
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: best type of substrate

Postby ShortStack » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Susann wrote:
ShortStack wrote:Can they burrow easily in repti-bark?

Maddie says:
IMG_1930.JPG


Heh, thanks Maddie! :)

She seems to be quite the expert there, Susann.. Lol.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: best type of substrate

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 am

i like coconut bark. I'm not sure that its the best, but i love the way it looks and my skink buries in it easily. also it absorbs well and hold humidity nicely. unfortunately it's not the cheapest...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... erralID=NA
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests