Eating in Winter

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ILoveMyMonsters
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:03 pm
Country:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Eating in Winter

Postby ILoveMyMonsters » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi Everybody!

I know it has been a while. Gauge is on the diet recommended from her new vet, and has recovered by leaps and bounds from her nasty bout with an MBD. Right now she gets a diet primarily of Rep-Cal, with very small portions of chopped veggies, fruit, and grain-free, organic all-meat dog food to taste. She loves it! :D She is around 14.5 inches long, and I swear is bigger everytime I see her.

Anyway, I have noticed with winter here in Missouri, she is not eating as much. She sometimes goes days without taking more than a couple of bites. It's as if her typically veracious appetite has disappeared into thin air. She also usually spends her days buried beneath her bedding after her morning basking, or she curls up all day in her hide. She doesn't poo nearly as often, and I have noticed they are a lot smaller than they used to be. I was curious as to whether or not this may have something to do with the winter season? The temperature in my house has not varied by much, but the heater is on quite often, so I am having to manually maintain the humidity with a mister on a regular basis, and she now has a 25W nighttime bulb on at night to keep the cage temperature above 70 degrees. Any thoughts? :noknow:
• Gauge - Northern Blue Tongued Skink
• Krueger - Chinese Shar Pei
• Alban - Variegated Blaze Rat
• Havoc - Double Rex x Patchwork Hairless Rat
• Sushi - Betta
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Eating in Winter

Postby lemon1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:12 pm

I am in Winnipeg and I've noticed mine aren't eating as much . I was wondering what happened to gauge . I think it's interesting that dog/cat food had sucha negative effect on Gauge . Every one seems to use this as a staple diet . I am glad it's working for you . I would love to see photos
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Eating in Winter

Postby Katrina » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:57 am

Appetite going down in the winter is totally normal. Just offer food once or twice a week and don't stress if she doesn't eat. They can go for months and months without food, and this kind of appetite loss is completely normal. :D

I'm very, very glad to hear that Gauge is doing so much better! That is excellent news!

I'm surprised that you think the problem was wet cat or dog food though. I have gotten nutritional information from several commonly fed brands and all have a decent Ca:P ratio. I can't find any information on the Ca:P ratio of the beardie pellets. Thousands of blueys have lived healthy lives without any sort of MBD being fed mainly cat or dog food, so I would think that the problem seen with Gauge stemmed from something else. Either way, it is excellent that she is doing better and I'm very happy to hear that you have a diet that you are happy with! :D
vm88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm
Country:
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Eating in Winter

Postby vm88 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:49 am

I actually posted about the exact same issue the other day. Hans is eating about half the portions he usually eats and isn't pooping as much/as large as he used to. Shouldn't be anything to worry about though. Everyone has told me that it's a normal occurrence!
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: Eating in Winter

Postby NennaMeerkat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I haven't had my guy long, but from what his previous owner said a few days ago he seems to be eating the same as he always does. I haven't noticed him eating less but when he isn't eating he is pretty much buried in his substrate directly below his heat lamp. As soon as he smells food he is out and "hunting" for it. I just think he enjoys his dog mash and veggies.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 350 guests