Bedding

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
screaminzee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:16 am
Country:
Location: America

Bedding

Postby screaminzee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:32 am

Please , I am confused on the proper bedding for 'Buddy" . I have been using the Aspen Snake bedding however I was told I should be using mulch (Keepers Choice) by the store we purchased Buddy , the reason was to keep the tank humid . However upon reading the caresheet only Aspen is not harmful to the Lizard . The Aspen is also quite dusty in comparison to the mulch (red cypress), PLEASE WHAT IS THE BEST BEDDING FOR THESE LIZARDS ? The Aspen seems easier to burrow but is it more harmful to the Lizard becuse of the dust ??? IM ZOOOOO CONFUUUZED

THANKS
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Bedding

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 am

Either would be perfectly fine.
Brad
User avatar
Shortie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:
Location: Scotland

Re: Bedding

Postby Shortie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:31 am

Personally, the way I see it is that they burrow in the wild anyways so they'll end up getting dust up their noses and they'll sneeze it out. I used aspen with mine and he was fine with it but I had to take it out because there was too much dust in it for me and I have allergies and asthma. I use Carefresh, less dusty, easy to burrow in and it's made from recyled materials! As for the humidity, your viv doesn't need to be super super humid. In fact if your bts has a pool in his viv, that should keep the humidity right. Bts don't need a really humid enviroment. I would probably stick to the aspen as too much humidity can cause respiratory problems and mulch seems quite 'heavy' and will hold a lot of water. Suppose bif you can keep the mulch more on the dry side it might work out.
Slinky the Tanimbar :)
screaminzee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:16 am
Country:
Location: America

Re: Bedding

Postby screaminzee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks Brutha ! I was concerned the dust from the Aspen would bother Him (they DO sneeze alot ) was afraid the mulch would poison Him and the humidity would cause bacteria. I know these Lizards are a little different than most (part of the charm) Lots of opinons, I was confident I would get a decent answer here . Thanks again .
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Bedding

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:04 am

Actually I exclusively use Cypress mulch with my skinks. Never an issue due to moisture and they are able to easily burrow in it as well. If I remember correctly, BTS dont really burrow in the wild. Its more then find a crevice under a rock or log and will hide in there. They really dont dig their own burrow to hide in. Or they may hide under a bunch of leave litter or bark. Obviously I am have misunderstood and could be completely wrong. I hope others with experience finding while skinks will speak up.
Brad
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Bedding

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:13 am

I remember reading something like they burrow when there is nothing to hide under, or something.
I would used the cypress. The snake bedding usually (if not always) looks pointy and would probably agitate the eyes.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Bedding

Postby Katrina » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:09 am

They aren't really diggers, not like varanids - so they generally take the easier route and go under a hide rather than digging, but if given enough substrate some really burrow quite a bit. If they have substrate and no snug hides then they will definitely burrow into it - if there are lots of hide options then some will chose those rather than burrowing. Either substrate would be fine.

Welcome to the forum! :D
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Re: Bedding

Postby Jenn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:02 am

I use a mixture of aspen and carefresh. Any issues I've had with humidy and shedding issues seems to be about the skink not the substrate. I just added a humid hide around shedding time for my skinks who needed it.
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 264 guests