Brumation??? EDITTED

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
eegore
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:00 am
Country:

Brumation??? EDITTED

Postby eegore » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 am

Someone please help! Eegore has basically stopped eating. He might eat A LITTLE once a week or so. He will still eat live food. I have been giving him his normal diet with everything he likes and end up throwing it away. I thought brumation at first but he is still out and about and fairly active. Any thoughts?? Should I be worried? I assume he will eat when he's hungry, but I feel like I am neglecting him. Also, before you ask. He stays about 75F on the cool end during the day (65 at night) and his UV and basking area are fine too (100F on his stone). I am unsure what to do...


OK...So since I haven't seen Eegore for over 10 days I am assuming he is officially brumating. Is there anything I should do? Specifically...

1) Should I keep turning on his UV light even though he is buried?
2) Should I ever feed him? If I do, should I just pick him up out of his substrate and put him near the food?
3) What about water?
4) How often should I check on him?
How long should I let him brumate or will he "wake up" on his own?

I am assuming I cannot just turn everything off and forget him.
Last edited by eegore on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Eegore
0.0.2 Red Eared Sliders - Hocus and Pocus
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:40 am

For an IJ, 65 may be too cold at night. Try to get it up to 70 at night and see if his appetite changes.
But otherwise, unless he's sick, very young, or underweight, not eating--even for a couple months this time of year, can be quite normal.
And since we all know Eegore is loved and cared for, you have no need to feel guilty, or neglectful. :wink:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Don't worry - they can go for a long time without food. Just offer food once every week or two and if he isn't eating or stops being active then just don't offer food and after a week or two lower the heat a bit and let him brumate. It is completely normal and nothing to be worried about. :D
User avatar
eegore
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:00 am
Country:

Postby eegore » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Eegore

0.0.2 Red Eared Sliders - Hocus and Pocus
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:56 pm

10 days does not a brumation make :wink:

I'd just keep temps and light the same. Offer food every week or two. Clean water at all times. No worries.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 pm

What Ali said. I wouldn't assume he is brumating just yet, give it some more time. :D To answer the questions:

1) Doesn't matter, I would leave it on to provide daylight.
2) Don't wake him up, just offer food and if he doesn't get up to eat it on his own then throw it out. After 3 week or so of not eating you can stop offering food and lower the temps.
3) Always offer fresh water.
4) If he doesn't eat or come out for more than 3 weeks then lower the temperatures and leave him be. Start warming things up again around end of January and he should wake up.
User avatar
eegore
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:00 am
Country:

Postby eegore » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 pm

He has been burying himself and staying until I pull him out to eat (which he doesnt) for 3 or 4 weeks. I never see him unless I take him out and he buries himself right back. I will assume he is brumating after that much time of being buried and never eating.

Also, how cold should I let him cool down? Is 60-65 at night and 70ish during the day OK? This is where he has been for the past weeks on his cool side where he is buried. Or should I move him somewhere colder?

Thanks for the info. SO basically just forget about him and let him be...
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Eegore

0.0.2 Red Eared Sliders - Hocus and Pocus
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm

i cannot answer your temperature question, however, you should not pull your bts out to eat...not even while not brumating, unless you suspect its ill or anything the like.

please, more experied forum members, correct me if i am wrong on this point :

it could be he tries to brumate, but if you continuosly wake him up from that state, his metabolism switches "on and standby" all the time, which is harmful, or at least confusing, to your skink.

if they are hungry they are out foraging for more food by themselves. when they dont feel like doing anything or are satisfied with the situation (in this case i mean food situation only) they stay put.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Those temps sound ok, I'd just leave him be there. No need to offer food if he isn't eating. :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 388 guests