What species of BTS is Littlefoot? And what sex?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
chombythefrog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:41 pm
Country:

What species of BTS is Littlefoot? And what sex?

Postby chombythefrog » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey, everyone! This is my first BTS, Littlefoot. I've had Littlefoot since early July.

I am really unsure of the specifics of her species, other than the fact that she's Indonesian. She kind of looks like a Merauke to me? What do you all think? I'd also appreciate any advice as to her sex... sometimes she's a girl and sometimes he's a boy. :P

Let me know if you need anymore pictures!

Thank you in advance,

Chad

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Indonesian.
My guess is male.
What is that lump on his neck?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Tiliqua gigas gigas, the Indonesian blue tongue skink.

Taking a guess, I would say female. But of course we all know that sexing by pictures is not an accurate way to sex.
Brad
chombythefrog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:41 pm
Country:

Postby chombythefrog » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:09 am

Thanks for the quick replies. :)

I know pictures aren't the best, or most accurate way, I just thought I'd ask.

I wasn't aware the "lump" might be a problem? Littlefoot has it on both sides and it seems quite uniform? I've seen other picture of BTS with the same "look." Should I be concerned?
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am

I'll also say Indonesian BTS. Very pretty. I'll guess female.

The neck looks like a double chin to me. This is pretty common in gigas, they tend to store fat in their chin rather than in the tail like scincoides do. However if the lump is hard or seems to cause discomfort something is up.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:30 am

Littlefoot T___T thats so adorable.......(i loved those movies when i was young)

pretty bts :) everyone already answered everything else for you xD
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:53 am

The bump could just be a jowls, but it does look a little bit more like a "bump" than a "jowl" to me.
How old is s/he? Are you the first owner, other than the breeder?
If it's not jowls, I wonder about thyroid-issues. If fed too much goitrogenic foods, they may get goiters just like people, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and BEAUTIFUL Indo!! :shock: :love:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
chombythefrog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:41 pm
Country:

Postby chombythefrog » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks, everyone, I think s/he is so pretty/handsome. Lol. This whole s/he and her/his thing is getting old... :P

@Fatal_S: The lump didn't seem to be hard the last time I checked, but I'll check again tomorrow when s/he is awake and get back to you.

@Susann: I assumed it was jowls, too. I am unsure of the age, because I received her from an acquaintance who could no longer keep Littlefoot. For that reason, I don't know how many people could have owned her. Littlefoot was probably about 9inches when got her - now she's about 15.5. I've owned her for about 4 months.

She's eating and defecating well, but she does seem to hide a lot. I feed her mostly a diet of collard greens, raspberries, papaya, mustard greens, and canned snails. I usually stir in a little bit of cat food just so she's more inclined to eat it. Does that sound all right?

Thanks again for all the help! :)
chombythefrog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:41 pm
Country:

Postby chombythefrog » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:27 am

And now that I think of it, I think her "bumb/possible jowls" were smaller when I got her... but I also think she was underweight. If that helps... I can also take more pictures, just let me know what you need. :D
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:43 am

I tend to easily overreact to things, so please don't worry, it could EASILY just be jowls if she has grown THAT much in 4 short months! That really is amazing!
But, if you don't mind posting, nobody else would mind looking at some pictures :wink: If you can, without stressing her (if it's jowls I'll just for simplicity's sake call her...her) too much, get some from straight above, maybe some straight from the side with her head up, and down. Maybe some where you can see what happens when you push on the "bumps", side to side?
Again, probably totally unnecessary, my motto just happens to be, better safe than sorry.

She IS gorgeous!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
chombythefrog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:41 pm
Country:

Postby chombythefrog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:40 pm

All right... so I checked the mystery bumps today and she doesn't seem to mind me touching them at all, and they're quite squishy... so I'm glad. I'm going to take some pictures in a bit...

Sorry for the delayed response, I worked all weekend. :P
User avatar
Anderous
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm
Country:
Location: Gresham Oregon

Postby Anderous » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 pm

my mearuke has jowles, no big deal, i think they look cool actually
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves.

The three core values of American society: Lying, Cheating, and stealing.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 192 guests