UVB

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kailey0317
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:

UVB

Postby kailey0317 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:45 pm

More questions on UVB *sigh* :oops:

I need a few pointers on UVB lighting.
~What kind ( brand and such ) do you use?
~Do you even use UVB?
~The only pet store near me sells only Zoo Med-is this brand legite?
^If not i dont mind ordering of the net :D
~How is this? - http://exo-terra.com/en/products/compac ... _bulbs.php (10.0 maybe?)

Sorry for this simple thing that i just cant seem to grasp !!! :doh:

P.S. i read the caresheet ( it did help also ) :D
Last edited by kailey0317 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kailey0317
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:

UVB

Postby kailey0317 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Oh i forgot! There will be a screen top :D
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 pm

- I use Megaray MVBs (Mercury Vapor Bulbs). I'm a big fan of MVBs. If you use one keep in mind it can't be dimmed, should be allowed to cool off before turning it back on, and it needs to be in a fitting that provides lots of airflow (wire dome, not closed ceramic dome).
- I don't use UVB for most of my skinks, but I have 2 'play tanks' with MVB bulbs for the skinks to spend some time in, and my Monkey Tails have a MVB to themselves.
- - - I supplement my food with calcium + D3 to make up for the lack of UVB.
- Zoo Med and Exo-Terra make fine UVB bulbs. Remember that UVB bulbs tend to stop producing UVB after about 6 months, but still produce normal light. MVB bulbs produce UVB until they burn out.
- By screen top do you mean flyscreen-like or hardware-mesh-like? Screens like flyscreen block almost all UVB, making the bulb pointless. Hardware mesh (1/4+ inch holes) lets the UVB in :)
kailey0317
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 pm
Country:

Postby kailey0317 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:09 pm

I have the CritterCage 40 gallon 36x18x16. It has the screen top already. If this is unsufficiant i can find another. Dont really know how to describe the top/ though i would say more hardware mesh type.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Postby Karen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:39 pm

I have the same tank and same top and I would think it too fine. I measured and it's about 1/8th of an inch screen. One thing you could possibly do is get some wire cutters or robust scissors and cut larger holes where you want to place the light. Not just a gaping big hole in the screen, but just enlarge the holes. Would probably leave some pokey stubs though, so you would definitely want to make sure there was no way the skink could reach the screen.

Of course you could always buy another screen. I think I saw one that was hinged down the middle somewhere online...
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Postby Kbell31 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:15 pm

I am using a 125 watt MVB and despite some pros and cons of them I find it easier to have one fixture. It keeps the basking spot around 95 degrees and although they are expensive they have a one yr warranty and can be exchanged if they burn out sooner. I have a standby just in case that happens. I was told to monitor the skink and if it seemed to be avoiding the light or squinting that the bulb may be too strong and to place it further away or to change to a reg uvb bulb. No signs of that so I will continue using it.
User avatar
mv2sa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm
Country:
Location: Ann Arbor - MI

Postby mv2sa » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Karen wrote:I have the same tank and same top and I would think it too fine. I measured and it's about 1/8th of an inch screen. One thing you could possibly do is get some wire cutters or robust scissors and cut larger holes where you want to place the light. Not just a gaping big hole in the screen, but just enlarge the holes. Would probably leave some pokey stubs though, so you would definitely want to make sure there was no way the skink could reach the screen.

Of course you could always buy another screen. I think I saw one that was hinged down the middle somewhere online...


=/ I have the same tank as well and I had any idea about the problem with the screen..... I don't want to destroy the screen....well I have time to think Bicho is on brumation.


* Edited by Katrina to remove profanity.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 264 guests