Sylvia Xrays showing MBD damage

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Sylvia Xrays showing MBD damage

Postby Karen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:56 pm

I got the Xray photos from the vet today. Brad mentioned that he was interested in seeing them so I'm going ahead and putting them up. I also have larger versions, and if you want a copy I can email them as an attachment.

They had a hard time keeping her still, even with the sedatives she was still moving quite a bit, so these are the only two they were able to get.

You can really see where the MBD affected her, and in the side view you can see the ghosting in her lungs that the vet said was from the infection.

Image
Image
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Wow - thank you for posting these. These are great.
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:23 pm

These are very cool. Thank you for sharing. Sorry to hear your skink is sick though :( Hope she get's better soon.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Thank you so much for posting!
Brad
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Postby Karen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:54 pm

You're very welcome guys. Thankfully Sylvia is doing much better. I was starting to get rather concerned since she's been sick for almost a month now, but the past four days she has really improved. Her nostrils are clearing up and to my ears the crackle in her lungs is gone.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
HarleyK
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:54 am
Country:
Location: Northern Cali

Postby HarleyK » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:38 am

What do gou feed your bts or how do you think she dveloped these symptoms?
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:34 am

HarleyK wrote:What do gou feed your bts or how do you think she dveloped these symptoms?

If you go back a little bit and read Karens posts on Sylvia, you will know the whole story, but the short of it is, a zoo wanted to "get rid of her" and that's how Karen rescued her. In this condition.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 am

I'm glad you posted these- I never got an x-ray done of Elliot and he's a bit worse then Sylvia shape-wise! (He's all better now, though. Bones are nice and strong, just a bit deformed.)

It gives me a better idea of what Elliot's bones must look like. I actually looked for pictures like this before. Really glad you posted.
- Meagan
Image
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Postby Karen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:44 am

HarleyK wrote:What do gou feed your bts or how do you think she dveloped these symptoms?


Right now she gets a dogfood/squash/collard green diet, but like Susann said, she's a rescue and I'm not totally sure what her care was like at this zoo. The intermediary I got her from made a point of saying she liked banana baby food. I was thinking yeah I bet she does. :doh: But as for complete diet I don't know. The MBD is from when she was younger, her bones are strong now.

Musoke wrote:I'm glad you posted these- I never got an x-ray done of Elliot and he's a bit worse then Sylvia shape-wise! (He's all better now, though. Bones are nice and strong, just a bit deformed.)

It gives me a better idea of what Elliot's bones must look like. I actually looked for pictures like this before. Really glad you posted.


You're welcome, and I hope Elliot doesn't let the deformities slow him down. I know Sylvia doesn't. :lol:
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa

Postby ssr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Liz has a lump in his back that he had developed before I got him. I was also curious what an xray would look like so thanks for posting. From what I can gather Liz had been fed only crickets before he came into my care. When I mentioned that dog food would be good the pet store employee frowned and said "oh I'd never feed that". :roll:
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 pm

wow those are cool! thanks for sharing!
i'm glad shes doing better now.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:29 am

These are great! Thanks for sharing. Also, I'm glad to hear she is doing so well. It sounds like you are doing everything right.
Cay T.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 545 guests