Scylla has been hiding under her bedding since I got her early this year. I take her out every other day to bask and eat, but as soon as she's done, she goes back into hiding. She will not come out or move if I leave her alone. I recently left her alone for a week, and when I checked on her, she was in the same spot as she was a week ago. She's not skinny at all and seems overall healthy. I know she's not dead, as she huffs REALLY loud when I touch her, LOL.
I don't think she is brumating because she started hiding about a month after I got her. I just need a little advice on whether to leave her alone or keep doing what I'm doing now, feeding her every other day and let her bask.
Just a quick question...
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
iJoker
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 am
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
if your skink is an adult skink i suggest you feed her every 3-5 days, or even once a week in order for her to gain a good appetite. this may lure her out in a healthier way than to take her outside by force - if she seems not interested in the food, ignore her and try feeding her again in 3-7 days.
as long as she looks healthy (no injuries, good looking poop, no RI symptoms and goos sheds) and is not loosing weight, do not be worried. you just have a skink who loves to hide! nothing wrong with that~
i suggest you should not bring her up to bask by "force". reptiles know how to regulate their temps as they want them.
on the other hand, have you checked the terrarium temps properly? if its too cold or warm on the basking spot of if any other things in the terrarium are wrong this may evidently be the cause too.
the other members will be quicker to answer this question specifically for you, if you:
- post a picture of th terrarium, of your skink.
- write the night temp, day temp on warm side and cool side.
- what you feed
once this is all checked, and the feeding is a little less seldom, you may see her crawling out on her own more often. this is the time to start looking for a treat she just cannot resist - a treat which will make her interested in being outside.
thats all the advice i can offer. stay tuned for other, more experienced owners to answer. as i only have one skink ( one personality ) my information can prove to be very false. my skink is hiding today too lol.
as long as she looks healthy (no injuries, good looking poop, no RI symptoms and goos sheds) and is not loosing weight, do not be worried. you just have a skink who loves to hide! nothing wrong with that~
i suggest you should not bring her up to bask by "force". reptiles know how to regulate their temps as they want them.
on the other hand, have you checked the terrarium temps properly? if its too cold or warm on the basking spot of if any other things in the terrarium are wrong this may evidently be the cause too.
the other members will be quicker to answer this question specifically for you, if you:
- post a picture of th terrarium, of your skink.
- write the night temp, day temp on warm side and cool side.
- what you feed
once this is all checked, and the feeding is a little less seldom, you may see her crawling out on her own more often. this is the time to start looking for a treat she just cannot resist - a treat which will make her interested in being outside.
thats all the advice i can offer. stay tuned for other, more experienced owners to answer. as i only have one skink ( one personality ) my information can prove to be very false. my skink is hiding today too lol.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
-
iJoker
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 am
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
I have tried just placing food in there, hoping the smell of blueberries will draw her out (she normally gets excited for those), but she wont come out. If I put her under her light, she'll stay there for over an hour and get all flat (it's so cute!), but then of course she goes back into hiding.
Her poop has always looked not right to me. Either it's a bit too soft or the food isn't digested completely. That's why when I feed her, I make sure she's under the light often to help her digest. I have even pureed it for her so it will digest easier. She's VERY cold when I pick her up from her bedding.
I'm just a worried skink mommy and don't want anything bad to happen to her! She may be a b**ch, but I still love her♥
Her poop has always looked not right to me. Either it's a bit too soft or the food isn't digested completely. That's why when I feed her, I make sure she's under the light often to help her digest. I have even pureed it for her so it will digest easier. She's VERY cold when I pick her up from her bedding.
I'm just a worried skink mommy and don't want anything bad to happen to her! She may be a b**ch, but I still love her♥
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
I think you ought to get a really reliable temp-reading on all the different points of the tank. It sounds to me like your BTS isn't getting enough heat to energize her, but more importantly, she may not be digesting her food properly.
What kind of lamps do you use? UVB?
Give us a really thorough list of what's in the tank--or pictures--and the temps in each spot. We need really thorough information on everything you can think of to describe, if you can't put up pictures.
Get a temp gun asap if you don't already have one. I bought mine at Lowes for like $30. If you only have a regular thermometer you need to put it in all the different spots in the tank, including burrying it in the substrate where she lays, and leave it in each spot for a minimum of 5 min. You need to observe the reading without holding the thermometer in your hand, because the temp of your hand will affect the reading.
We'll be waiting.
What kind of lamps do you use? UVB?
Give us a really thorough list of what's in the tank--or pictures--and the temps in each spot. We need really thorough information on everything you can think of to describe, if you can't put up pictures.
Get a temp gun asap if you don't already have one. I bought mine at Lowes for like $30. If you only have a regular thermometer you need to put it in all the different spots in the tank, including burrying it in the substrate where she lays, and leave it in each spot for a minimum of 5 min. You need to observe the reading without holding the thermometer in your hand, because the temp of your hand will affect the reading.
We'll be waiting.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 310 guests
