So the days are counting down for my parents big move to North Carolina. I will be helping them move and live with them for a few months. Ive decided to take Ruckus with me. (I could leave him with Atti, but I feel better taking him. That way I know how hes being cared for properly. Dont get me wrong though, Atticus could take care of him, I just feel better if I did)
Anyways...
Im making a back pack for him. Similier to the one Linnea (I think thats who it was) made but a bit bigger. Ive got a padded liner, and a window so he could breath fresh air.
My question is in his backpack how would I give him a hot and cold side?
Also, Is there anything else I should do to make him as safe and confortable as possible. Its about 12-19 hour drive.
Ill be away for 2-3 months and hell have a nice new tank at my parents house.
Also, Do you think ill have to declaire him at border if hes not going to be staying?
Ruckus' trip to North Carolina
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Honestly, I would not worry about a hot and cold side. Most likely your car will be kept at a comfortable temp (assuming room temp which is around 72F). At this temp, it will not hurt to not have a hot side. I would simply stop feeding a week before the trip. The day of the trip, I would not turn the lights/heat on in the cage. From there, just pack him up and go.
Brad
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
Why would I stop the feeding.. Is this just so he doesnt deficate in his backpack?
because I worried about that. I wouldent want him to poo and then when I go to check on him hes smotherd it everywere.
Also If I have to go to say.. the rest room or go to eat something. Do you think it would be okay to bring him with me (In the back pack of course) or should I leave him in the car. I dont know how cold it will be by the time I go.. So I think I should probably bring him with me.
because I worried about that. I wouldent want him to poo and then when I go to check on him hes smotherd it everywere.
Also If I have to go to say.. the rest room or go to eat something. Do you think it would be okay to bring him with me (In the back pack of course) or should I leave him in the car. I dont know how cold it will be by the time I go.. So I think I should probably bring him with me.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Pretty much just to make sure his stomach is empty. Empty stomach=Less chance of poo.
Also incase something would happen and you are stuck with out heat, you dont have to worry about the food not being able to digest in his body because temps are too cold.
If the vehicle is going to stay running, Id leave him in there. If you have to turn the vehicle off and only going to be 15 mins or so away from the vehicle, then I again would leave him in there. If I am going to go eat and going to be over 15 mins or so, Id take im in with me. However, with doing this, you will not want to get caught. It is typically frowned upon taking an animal into a restaurant with the exception of service animals.
Also incase something would happen and you are stuck with out heat, you dont have to worry about the food not being able to digest in his body because temps are too cold.
If the vehicle is going to stay running, Id leave him in there. If you have to turn the vehicle off and only going to be 15 mins or so away from the vehicle, then I again would leave him in there. If I am going to go eat and going to be over 15 mins or so, Id take im in with me. However, with doing this, you will not want to get caught. It is typically frowned upon taking an animal into a restaurant with the exception of service animals.
Brad
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
- Zach
- Grand Cicada

- Posts: 7550
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
- Country:
- Location: Orygun
- Contact:
ReptileKing wrote:Honestly, I would not worry about a hot and cold side. Most likely your car will be kept at a comfortable temp (assuming room temp which is around 72F). At this temp, it will not hurt to not have a hot side. I would simply stop feeding a week before the trip. The day of the trip, I would not turn the lights/heat on in the cage. From there, just pack him up and go.
Ditto.
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Probably not. Most airlines will not allow them in the passenger area, and cargo needs special requirements. But call the airline and ask if it's possible to take your "live, harmless pet lizard" with you.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
MissMeg wrote:Another question, can I take a reptile on an airplane?
I agree with Mel. You will not be able to bring it on board, but would have to keep it in the cargo area. I know Delta has "Delta Dash" that is used to ship reptiles same day delivery in the US. So Id assume you would have to use a similar option.
Brad
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
I looked into this extensively about a year ago. I was not able to find an airline that would allow a reptile in the cabin. Small furry pets are fine; allergic people just have to deal with the re-circulated air. Harmless pet reptiles are absolutely forbidden because of the fear factor. Don’t get me started!
Enough dead pets in the past have spurred the airlines to improve their pet cargo area. It used to be a huge risk to transport exothermic animals on an airplane. The cargo areas were not always reliably pressurized, nor reliably temperature-controlled. At 30,000 feet in the air, the temperature can drop to as low as MINUS 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Even with heating pads it was risky for reptiles.
Today most airlines have a much better controlled cargo area for animals. Having your pet travel with you, even if they can not be in the cabin, is much safer. Personally, I would still not take the chance unless I HAD TO, but with the right preparations and equipment it hopefully shouldn’t be a problem.
Enough dead pets in the past have spurred the airlines to improve their pet cargo area. It used to be a huge risk to transport exothermic animals on an airplane. The cargo areas were not always reliably pressurized, nor reliably temperature-controlled. At 30,000 feet in the air, the temperature can drop to as low as MINUS 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Even with heating pads it was risky for reptiles.
Today most airlines have a much better controlled cargo area for animals. Having your pet travel with you, even if they can not be in the cabin, is much safer. Personally, I would still not take the chance unless I HAD TO, but with the right preparations and equipment it hopefully shouldn’t be a problem.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 202 guests
