Tanimbars

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:57 pm

I admire your willingness to wait until the time is right :D You've really come so far from when you joined and I really hope others will follow in your footsteps. More pictures would be nice though.

For Tanimbars, again I'd consider it pretty much cruel to put Tannies into pet stores or into homes that aren't prepared through research/experience. Maybe a reptile-centric store with reptile-centric buyers could work, but I'd still say Northern/IJ/Merauke would be much better.

To me the difference in a Tanny/Kei/Indo over Northern/IJ/Merauke is akin to a Green Tree Python over a Ball Python. Balls make great first time reptiles and great pets for any reptile enthusiasts. But having a GTP is something that needs a lot more thought/experience and giving a GTP to a newbie is asking for trouble.

Now I'm saying this, but at the same time I love these meaner animals. I would like to breed the rarer and meaner skinks and let other people concentrate on the pet-skinks. However I know this means more work, less money, and giving up the easy sales. I'm lucky that my market is Canada-wide since there are no other breeders of these rarer/meaner skinks :) I'm hoping to work with Katrina (Northerns, Meraukes, IJs?) and Pink T (Northerns) to give all Canadians access to the right BTS for them :D
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 pm

ReptileKing wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:2..If I buy a pair... If they're still for sale...If I have room...

You snooze, you lose. And you snoozed!

I know you want me to have them. Just you wait. :wink:
:lol:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Fatal_S wrote:I admire your willingness to wait until the time is right :D You've really come so far from when you joined and I really hope others will follow in your footsteps. More pictures would be nice though.

Thank you for the complement :)
I should have pics up tomorrow depending on the weather. :D
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 am

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Andrew, Ray, and varanus inc are the only breeders. Brad(reptile king) tried but now he is focusing on keis.


theres a guy in Germany (Georg Werner) who breeds excellent yellow and silver tannies!
he even has a post here on the forum :)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Linnea wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Andrew, Ray, and varanus inc are the only breeders. Brad(reptile king) tried but now he is focusing on keis.


theres a guy in Germany (Georg Werner) who breeds excellent yellow and silver tannies!
he even has a post here on the forum :)
I love his yellows and I normally dont like them :drool:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 am

is aggression a trait only found on tannies in USA, or is it common in aus too?

i was told by him that the adult tannies he sells arent aggressive and seemingly dont mind being held for photos (according to him, and judging from the photos).
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 am

Tannies aren't in Aus (it would be very illegal). You mean in Eurasia? I'm pretty sure the attitude is common throughout all Tanimbars, but individuals will differ of course. I don't find my Tannies to be aggressive, just very skittish (I can still hold/play with them, I just know they'd rather be left alone usuallly so I play with the friendlier skinks instead).
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 pm

SapphireTigress wrote:speaking of, does anyone breed silver tanimbars here?


I don't know of anyone besides Ray, Andrew, and Brad. I don't know if Brad has any babies left. I think Ray only had one this year and all of Andrew's baby skinks died in the fire this month :(

Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 am

I dont think Andrew bred his tannies this year. Im not sure about Ray. And Brad didnt have any success but he's extremely close.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
NomadOfTheHills
The Scout
The Scout
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:07 pm
Country:

Postby NomadOfTheHills » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:31 pm

My tannie (CB from Ray) is puppy dog tame. Much nice than my WC gigas was.
User avatar
JR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:25 am
Country:
Location: Finland, Europe
Contact:

Postby JR » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:36 am

NomadOfTheHills wrote:My tannie (CB from Ray) is puppy dog tame.


Mine too. I don't understand the "tannies are aggressive"-thing.
• 1.0.1 Tiliqua scincoides chimaerea
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:23 pm

JR wrote:
NomadOfTheHills wrote:My tannie (CB from Ray) is puppy dog tame.


Mine too. I don't understand the "tannies are aggressive"-thing.
I think its more defensive then aggressive.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Owlstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm
Country:
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Contact:

Postby Owlstar » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 pm

I agree with that, my tannie, Tarzan, doesn't seem to be aggressive at all unless I startle him. He lets me hold him if I move slowly and don't mess with him that much. I see as like a finicky companion other than a pet like my dog or bearded dragon.
1 Silver Tanimbar Blue Tongue Skink
1 Indonesian Blue Tongue Skink
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Crested Gecko
1 Saharan Uromastyx
1 Jackson's Chameleon
1 Dogs
2 Rabbits
18 chickens
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:06 pm

I am very confident that the "stereotype" of tannies being aggressive dates back to when adults were commonly imported. As with most CBB animals, they tend to have a more gentle attitude than their WC counterparts.

Same is very true with Kei Islands as well. Many of my WC are mean suckers, however, my CBB keis are very docile.
Brad

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 339 guests