Pumpkin Guts?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Toxique
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Pumpkin Guts?

Postby Toxique » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Well, as you know its October, which means it's the heart of pumpkin season. And I was wondering, with the pumpkin, being in the squash family, be safe for a skink to eat?

More importantly, would the part you scoop out (to carve said pumpkin, the 'guts' of it if you will) be safe for them once the seeds are removed? My friends gave me a bag full of it once they took the seeds out for their own use, plus a whole uncarved pumpkin. I was wondering if I could save some of it for Mortimer?
1.0.0 Mortimer, Irian Jaya BTS
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:41 am

You can feed the flesh to it. Katrina usually cuts off the skin.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 am

Yeah I feed the flesh, but not the stringy guts. For no reason other than I am used to throwing at away. I grate up the flesh and like ML said, I cut off the skin.
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

good idea! I didn't even think about giving some of the carved pumpkin to Scooter. The kids will LOVE it, Thanks!
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 am

im wondering, why not feed the guts if you can feed the sides?
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 am

Linnea wrote:im wondering, why not feed the guts if you can feed the sides?


:lol: I have no good reason! I don't know - I just feed them typically what I would eat as far as peel or other stuff. So I guess because I throw the stringy stuff away and use the flesh for pie, the lizards get the flesh but not the stringy stuff. But I'm not saying don't feed the stingy stuff, I just don't feed it but I have no strong reasons for not feeding.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:14 am

Looks nasty. And If I wont eat it my animals wont eat it.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:30 pm

I don't see a problem with feeding the guts. When wild deer eat my friends pumpkins they eat the entire insides, leaving just the hollow shell.

I'm carving pumpkins this sunday, maybe I'll take some guts home for the critters.
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:16 am

I am too Fatal! We should have a pumpkin carving contest :wink:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 255 guests