tank question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
mcforeal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:18 pm
Country:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

tank question

Postby mcforeal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am

My northern BTS, Gibbs, is a few months old but growing quickly. I'm looking into getting a larger home for him very soon, and I stumbled across a 65GAL tank w/ screen top for $125 + accessories. The dimensions are 48" long, 18" wide, and 21" tall. I know height isn't so important for a BTS as width is, and I'm worried that 18" inches wide may be cutting it a little close for when he is full grown. Thoughts on this?
User avatar
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem
Posts: 1918
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:07 am
Country: U.S.A.
Location: Texas

Postby Edward » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:37 am

It's a bit close but not horribly small. If at all possible, I go with 24" but I do have 18" also.
Especially with a Northern, who will in all likelihood grow to be 20+", anything with a side shorter than 18" is :shake:.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am

While I prefer 24" I don't see anything wrong with 18". Sounds like a great price.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 pm

What you've lost in depth you make up for in length. So seems like a good deal to me.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Tanith
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 pm
Country:
Location: Manitoba

Postby Tanith » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:40 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Actually its 78.55 gallons.
http://repticzone.com/articles/helpfult ... gesize.php


Neat calculator :D ! I added it to my favorites. Hmm... I thought my terrarium was bigger that 50.49 gallons... :scratch: .
User avatar
mcforeal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:18 pm
Country:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Postby mcforeal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:26 pm

that's a pretty neat calculator haha. i know not enough about dimensions, i was just giving what i was given >.> the owner may be off on the gallon accuracy, but at least the dimensions are right! i even talked them down a bit, so i'll be getting the tank plus a few extra accessories for $100 :D
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:32 pm

I think it might be off a little but its pretty close.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
mcforeal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:18 pm
Country:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Postby mcforeal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:48 pm

seems accurate enough. now to just think of the best ways to pimp out his tank :lol:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 263 guests