Beginner questions?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- lemon1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 185
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
- Country:
- Location: Winnipeg
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Re: Beginner questions?
ZombieBTS wrote:Hello guys I am planning on buying a BTS?
Now I need a little help. So I am gonna use Aspen bedding, use a 40 gallon for now. Also get a 100 watt heat lamp with 5 UVA/UVB bulb and put that on the cage. Then get a water bowl. Would that work out good?
Another question. Would it be better I buy a BTS from BigAppleHerp.com ( they are 170$ ) or should I wait until November 20th and go to a expo with my dad and hope they are there? I still need to get the bedding and lamps. So which one?
I noticed you mentioned Florida in a later post. If you are near Tampa, Ray Gurgui will be at Repticon in a couple of weeks (November 12/13). His booth will be the one with more Blue Tongue Skinks than anyone else. Also I'm using a 100 watt bulb with a 40 gallon tank but mine isn't sitting directly on the screen----it's hanging on a Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand. I can check how high it is in the morning. When I had it sitting directly on the screen I used a 75 watt bulb. Also I believe a 5.0 UVB bulb has no greater than 12 inches from the basking site (the 40 gallon breeder I have is taller than that). You might have to use a 10.0 UVB. I don't use UVB for any of my BTS (or Red Foot Tortoises) and never plan to. I use supplements instead. I have read cases of people having great success both with and without UVB so the choice is yours.
Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
-
ZombieBTS
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:37 pm
- Country:
Re: Beginner questions?
[quote="ExtremeJustin"][quote="ZombieBTS"]Hello guys I am planning on buying a BTS?
Now I need a little help. So I am gonna use Aspen bedding, use a 40 gallon for now. Also get a 100 watt heat lamp with 5 UVA/UVB bulb and put that on the cage. Then get a water bowl. Would that work out good?
Another question. Would it be better I buy a BTS from BigAppleHerp.com ( they are 170$ ) or should I wait until November 20th and go to a expo with my dad and hope they are there? I still need to get the bedding and lamps. So which one?
[/quote]
I noticed you mentioned Florida in a later post. If you are near Tampa, Ray Gurgui will be at Repticon in a couple of weeks (November 12/13). His booth will be the one with more Blue Tongue Skinks than anyone else. Also I'm using a 100 watt bulb with a 40 gallon tank but mine isn't sitting directly on the screen----it's hanging on a Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand. I can check how high it is in the morning. When I had it sitting directly on the screen I used a 75 watt bulb. Also I believe a 5.0 UVB bulb has no greater than 12 inches from the basking site (the 40 gallon breeder I have is taller than that). You might have to use a 10.0 UVB. I don't use UVB for any of my BTS (or Red Foot Tortoises) and never plan to. I use supplements instead. I have read cases of people having great success both with and without UVB so the choice is yours.
Justin[/quote]
I'm going to repticon but in west palm beach on November 20th. Thanks dude. nd thanks everyone else!
Now I need a little help. So I am gonna use Aspen bedding, use a 40 gallon for now. Also get a 100 watt heat lamp with 5 UVA/UVB bulb and put that on the cage. Then get a water bowl. Would that work out good?
Another question. Would it be better I buy a BTS from BigAppleHerp.com ( they are 170$ ) or should I wait until November 20th and go to a expo with my dad and hope they are there? I still need to get the bedding and lamps. So which one?
[/quote]
I noticed you mentioned Florida in a later post. If you are near Tampa, Ray Gurgui will be at Repticon in a couple of weeks (November 12/13). His booth will be the one with more Blue Tongue Skinks than anyone else. Also I'm using a 100 watt bulb with a 40 gallon tank but mine isn't sitting directly on the screen----it's hanging on a Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand. I can check how high it is in the morning. When I had it sitting directly on the screen I used a 75 watt bulb. Also I believe a 5.0 UVB bulb has no greater than 12 inches from the basking site (the 40 gallon breeder I have is taller than that). You might have to use a 10.0 UVB. I don't use UVB for any of my BTS (or Red Foot Tortoises) and never plan to. I use supplements instead. I have read cases of people having great success both with and without UVB so the choice is yours.
Justin[/quote]
I'm going to repticon but in west palm beach on November 20th. Thanks dude. nd thanks everyone else!
- Chasen
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am
- Country:
- Location: Provincetown, Mass
Got mine as a baby (just a bigger one now) and was very skittish and aggressive in the beginning. That's why I call him Agro. I left him alone for the first couple weeks and gradually introduced him to my hand. Now he's great.. Also have mine in 40 gl and I use a 75watt reflector bulb for basking. Keeps it right at 100 on his 5 inch raised basking spot.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 196 guests
