clipped her nails

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
jessie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:01 pm
Country:
Location: Sydney Australia

clipped her nails

Postby jessie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi all. I finally worked up the courage to clip Jessie's nails. Very nerve :shock: racking

Anyway all went well till there was a tiny drop of blood on one of her toes. it was just one drop and didn't keep bleeding and it didn't worry her at all.

I know that I had clipped a little more than I should have but is there anything I need to do??? Just watch it??
Kindness to all animals
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:57 am

If I ever make a skink's nail bleed I wait for it to stop before putting the skink away. I don't want tank-dirt getting into an open injury. That's all though. It's really not something to worry about.
User avatar
jessie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:01 pm
Country:
Location: Sydney Australia

Postby jessie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:15 am

Thanks Fatal. I wasn't extremely worried as I said in post, it was just a spot and Jessie wasn't upset BUT as it was my first time I needed reasurance I supose that all was ok. I was sooooo nervous to do it and have put it off for about3 months! I have had her walking on the cement as much as I could but not enough.
Thanks again.
Kindness to all animals
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa

Postby ssr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:31 am

If you put a rough surfaced rock in the enclosure it may be enough to keep the nails short. This works for me.
User avatar
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Country:
Location: California

Postby Adalon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:57 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I finally had to clip Adalon's nails today and I think one was too close since it bled for a minute. I'll have to try using a file next time.

I'm curious how everyone is normally able to keep all of their nails filed naturally inside their habitat. I keep his hide on top of a slate tile which he sleeps on every night and have some slate pieces at his basking place. His front nails are nice and smooth, but his back nails have slowly grown out so much that when he climbs on me it kinda hurts. :? It just seems like he really prefers using his front legs only when moving around and I always just assumed all skinks were like that which makes me curious how you guys can keep back nails naturally filed.
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Why bump up an old thread? It is SOOO frowned upon here!
Just read all you want from old posts, the start a new thread if you have questions.

They will probably lock this, so just start a new thread, and people will be much more inclined to answer. Nobody wants to even respond when it's a bumped old thread.

Good luck!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Country:
Location: California

Postby Adalon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Susann wrote:Why bump up an old thread? It is SOOO frowned upon here!
Just read all you want from old posts, the start a new thread if you have questions.

They will probably lock this, so just start a new thread, and people will be much more inclined to answer. Nobody wants to even respond when it's a bumped old thread.

Good luck!


Again I apologize for bumping an old thread, it was just the most recent one I could find on the topic. I wasn't sure if it was a worse offense to post a duplicate topic on a subject that was already asked or to bump a 5 month old thread. Any moderator able to clarify? Feel free to lock the thread if it's against the rules, I can make a new thread later.
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey Adalon - Susann is right, anything over 3 months isn't supposed to be bumped up. I really appreciate you trying to find the most recent post on this subject though. :)

Lots of these type of questions come up every couple if not every single month so go ahead and start a new thread. There are always lots of newer owners on here that can probably benefit from similar questions being asked or else clarification so don't feel bad about starting a new thread.

Again, I really appreciate you trying to not break the rules - I feel bad locking this! :lol: But please do go ahead and start another thread.

To answer your question - I just have lots of rocks in their enclosures including a kind of rock called lace rock that appears volcanic. That keeps nails filed down, although I do find that the back nails are sharper than the front legs. They definitely drag themselves along more with the front legs!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 247 guests