Thora, Thor's tank, and the new shelving unit (DUW)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Thora, Thor's tank, and the new shelving unit (DUW)

Postby ExtremeJustin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:05 am

I finally got around to changing out the substrate to cypress. For those interested I have a list of everything I used in the enclosure and where to get it. I also have a picture of the new shelving unit which I got from Ray which will eventually be used for baby BTSs and Tortoises. I put some of my 20 gallons on it as well as the mixing tubs (for the torts) to show the size.

Enclosure is:
* 40 Critter Cage Gallon Breeder tank (same as in the care sheet, I've been using it since before this forum existed LOL) Note: I removed the sliding screen to take pictures. She DOES have a cover on the tank.
* 8 quarts Cypress mulch (This mulch is Zoo Med Forest Floor but you can get mulch much cheaper from Lowes, the Home Depot, or Wal-mart.---stay away from the special colored mulch) $7.99 at Petco - $2 or $3 for a much larger size at hardware stores
* 1 square ft. slate tile for basking - The Home Depot for less than $2. The sell them for use as samples.
* The Hide was given to me by Ray Gurgui. It's basically 3 inches by just under 18 inches. I believe it comes from carpeting tubing? I forget exactly LOL. You can buy PVC piping from The Home Depot for $7 or less that is 4 inches by 2 ft.
* The water dish is from Exo Terra (PT2802 Water Dish Medium). I could have gone much cheaper but I saw it at Repticon with a matching food dish. $6
* Exo Terra Medium Feeding Dish (PT2812) $8 (not pictured in enclosure)
* Zoo Med Dome light/stand - I forget the cost. I moved to a stand system because the screen was getting older and I didn't want a dome sitting directly on the screen anymore for safety reasons. I forget the wattage of the bulb as I've been changing them around trying to get the best temps.

Image

Thora basking:
Image

The shelving unit (purchased from Ray):
Image
[for those interested: All of the glass tanks pictured are 20 gallons, there is one large mixing tub and one medium tub - future baby tortoise homes (both available at the Home Depot)]

Thora in her "I has a Sierra Mist" temporary enclosure waiting patiently for the cypress mulch to be put down:
Image

The food and water dishes that I got at Repticon (before label removal/cleaning LOL)
Image
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:29 am

Pretty skink :D
But the eyes are freaking me out. Is there anything wrong with it?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 am

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Pretty skink :D
But the eyes are freaking me out. Is there anything wrong with it?


Quite possibly. Ray thinks that she has gotten too fat and needs to go on a diet or that it could be a humidity problem. I had her on carefresh for over a year. I noticed a few months ago that she had an eye issue. It seems to be getting better after being away from carefresh for the past month. That's one of the big reasons I have switched her to cypress.

This is one of the pictures of her before the carefresh:
(I only used the bedding in the picture for a short time and DO NOT recommend it).
Image
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 am

Here is a link to the thread I made when I initially discovered the eye issue.
http://bluetongueskinks.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=368768&highlight=#368768

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Pretty skink :D
But the eyes are freaking me out. Is there anything wrong with it?
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 pm

She is gorgeous!
Cay T.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 pm

She is a nice looking skink! Love the shelf as well, Ray is the man!

As far as the eyes, I honestly would look into a vet exam. Bulging eyes could be the cause of excess pressure behind them, which typically causes pain. While I am not sure how it is with reptiles, but when working at a vet clinic, we could test and see how much pressure is in the eye. They offer eye drops to help decrease the pressure (again in dogs) and may have something "reptile safe".

Obviously my experience with eye issues does not include reptiles and I could just be wasting your time. However, a quick trip to the vet always eases my mind when there is an issue.

Does the size of the eye fluctuate?
Brad
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:44 am

Thank you everyone! I haven't noticed a lot of change in the eyes from one moment to the next... It might be worth a quick trip to the vet since it's been going on a while.

ReptileKing wrote:She is a nice looking skink! Love the shelf as well, Ray is the man!

As far as the eyes, I honestly would look into a vet exam. Bulging eyes could be the cause of excess pressure behind them, which typically causes pain. While I am not sure how it is with reptiles, but when working at a vet clinic, we could test and see how much pressure is in the eye. They offer eye drops to help decrease the pressure (again in dogs) and may have something "reptile safe".

Obviously my experience with eye issues does not include reptiles and I could just be wasting your time. However, a quick trip to the vet always eases my mind when there is an issue.

Does the size of the eye fluctuate?
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Gorgeous skink!! The shelving unit looks great too. :D

If you do take her to the vet, please let us know the results. Could be a good learning opportunity.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Katrina wrote:If you do take her to the vet, please let us know the results. Could be a good learning opportunity.

Absolutely! Also, you may look into just calling an experienced reptile vet, they maybe able to help you that way as well.
Brad
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:15 pm

What was the substrate you only used for a short time and why do you not recommend it?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Hopeful_Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Country:
Location: Elk Grove, Ca

Postby Hopeful_Herper » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 pm

El lobo thats alfalfa pellets, i can tell cuz I also used it temporarily
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:55 am

Hopeful_Herper wrote:El lobo thats alfalfa pellets, i can tell cuz I also used it temporarily
There is a substrate I was going to use that looks like it and is was aspen pellets from gentle touch pets I think.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Hopeful_Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Country:
Location: Elk Grove, Ca

Postby Hopeful_Herper » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:10 pm

never heard of aspen pellets, hmmm
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

-Mark Twain
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Yes, it was Alfalfa Pellets. I stopped using it because it gets mold very easily. BTW, I did see aspen pellets listed on Petco's website. I looked it up and saw a picture of it and they do look a lot like Alfalfa Pellets.

Oh and if she goes to the vet (if it doesn't clear up soon) I'll let everyone know the results. If I do take her to the vet I want to find one that actually knows something about reptiles so I'll be checking the vet list on the forum and see if there is one listed in reptiles magazine too :)
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 266 guests