Cage set up???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:22 pm

phaemas wrote:would a 30 gallon breeder from PetLan/Pet Smart work?


What is the floor space? You can probably get bigger by waiting for a good second hand deal on craigslist or other sites.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I believe a 30 gallon breeder is 36" x 18" x 12". If that is what you are talking about, I think it is good for most adult BTS.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:26 pm

it is Jeff. It's by aquadon. (Spelling fail). How bought a 40 gallon breeder? Or a 40 gallon turtle tank? How bought a 135 gallon aquarium? Or is that too big? Because I was thinking of finding a bigger tank for my brothers beardie and tanking his 40 gallon breeder for Marvin.
Last edited by phaemas on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Jeff wrote:I believe a 30 gallon breeder is 36" x 18" x 12". If that is what you are talking about, I think it is good for most adult BTS.


thats the size i have for my skink. it works really well. i wish i went bigger (4x2x2) just so i could throw more hides in but i really like the set up i have going on.
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Postby JoshChimera » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:14 am

Katrina wrote:
JoshChimera wrote:I misread the word 35 gallon and read it quickly.... Sorry, 35 gallons sounds good for a baby skink. It will last months, but will soon out grow the tank when it is past 12 inches from snout to vent legnth. You should look up a pet store near you and work out some deals on supplies.


I think the OP edited the post - I definitely read 5 gallons as well! Lol. 35 is a much better number, but like Brad said - floor dimensions are what matters! :wink:

Funny! :P I thought I was wrong. I hope all is well when this new Blue Tongue skink owner is done setting up the skinks new home.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Postby JoshChimera » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 am

Katrina wrote:
JoshChimera wrote:I misread the word 35 gallon and read it quickly.... Sorry, 35 gallons sounds good for a baby skink. It will last months, but will soon out grow the tank when it is past 12 inches from snout to vent legnth. You should look up a pet store near you and work out some deals on supplies.


I think the OP edited the post - I definitely read 5 gallons as well! Lol. 35 is a much better number, but like Brad said - floor dimensions are what matters! :wink:

Sorry, accidential double post. It is good the owner wants to do all he/she can for there skink.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:44 am

phaemas wrote:it is Jeff. It's by aquadon. (Spelling fail). How bought a 40 gallon breeder? Or a 40 gallon turtle tank? How bought a 135 gallon aquarium? Or is that too big? Because I was thinking of finding a bigger tank for my brothers beardie and tanking his 40 gallon breeder for Marvin.


Bigger is better, but there is no one perfect size. We can't tell you what to get - just make sure it has good floor space, you can get the temperatures right, you can afford it and it fits in your house! There is no 'too big', any of those options will work.
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Postby Kurt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:23 pm

phaemas wrote:Marvins 3 :oops: I feel bad for him as he lives in this tiny tank but he doesn't seem to mind it but I just feel SOOO bad...:( Are there any places where I can order them online for cheap or something?

Its 3 feet long and less that 13 inches wide/deep.

I don't WANT to be a bad owner but I don't like paying over the moon for something simple eaither:(


go to petco. today is the last day for $1 per gallon sale. drop $40 on a 40 gal breeder (36x18x18 i think?).
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:34 pm

We dopn't have a pet-co where I live-i think
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 am

If you feel too bad leaving him where he is right now, then maybe a Rubbermaid-type tub is a good solution until you can afford the terrarium that he will live in for the next 20+ years.

In my opinion there's no such thing as TOO BIG. As long as there are many good hides, and you can get the right temperatures, how could space be bad?

And like many have already stated, the number of gallons really says nothing when you're talking about reptiles. I believe the minimum floor space recommended is 36X18. Height only matters if you will be hanging a lamp down into the tank.

There are lots of owners and especially breeders who just modify the lid on a plastic tub. That may be a better/cheaper option for you right now.

Do a search on this forum for plastic tubs, or Rubbermaid tubs, and you'll get lots of good info, and even pictures and directions.

Good luck!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:13 am

its like 11 1/2 inches deep and 36 inches long.

I might be getting him a shark tank after our vacation used for a pair of BIG sharks. Mean while he'll be at my dads getting SPOILED!!!!
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:48 am

A 30 gallon breeder and a 40 gallon breeder have the same floor space. A 40 gallon is just taller (which isn't that important). It's been my experience that the products I've seen that are labeled as "turtle tank" are made specifically for turtles and might have things skinks don't need like a cut out for a filtration system.

phaemas wrote:it is Jeff. It's by aquadon. (Spelling fail). How bought a 40 gallon breeder? Or a 40 gallon turtle tank? How bought a 135 gallon aquarium? Or is that too big? Because I was thinking of finding a bigger tank for my brothers beardie and tanking his 40 gallon breeder for Marvin.
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests