Substrate for pregnant female

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Otter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:40 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Substrate for pregnant female

Postby Otter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:02 pm

I have a question about substrate for a possible pregnant female.

I use Aspen for substrate and I am very happy with it but I have a female that may be pregnant and could give birth starting in the next few days.

I am a bit worried that if she has her babies in the aspen bedding when the babies eat the afterbirth they might ingest some of the bedding and would cause impaction in the babies.

What do some of you breeders use for substrate with your pregnant females?

Thanks,

John
christian
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 pm
Country:

Postby christian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:32 pm

I would recommend taking out the substrate and hides and putting her on paper towels but that is just what we do.
User avatar
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
Country:
Location: San Diego, California

Postby James Wilson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 am

Artificial turf.
James Wilson
User avatar
Otter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:40 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Postby Otter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:53 am

Great thank you I will change the substrate asap,

John

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 261 guests