Emergency Trip...

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Emergency Trip...

Postby ExtremeJustin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:43 am

There is a family emergency and I have to leave this morning. I'll have to leave Thora here at the house for a week or 2. I need to make sure I'm not missing any of the essentials:

I'm going to keep the house temps around 82 or 83 while I'm gone.

I'm going to leave extra water. I'm going to put some water in a water dispenser (Repti Reservoir). I'm wondering if I should tape the water dispenser to the inside of the tank??? I would cement it to a piece of slate but there isn't enough time to do all of that.

I'm planning to leave paper towels down because I had a problem with a substrate and because of the family emergency I won't have time to replace it.

Is there anything that I'm missing? I'm not sure if I'm thinking really straight right now so I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing.

Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:47 am

To start off, make SURE that someone can check on Thora at least every 3 or 4 days or so. She will only soil her water if you give it to her. Have someone be there to offer her water every time they come.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:56 am

WanderingChai wrote:To start off, make SURE that someone can check on Thora at least every 3 or 4 days or so. She will only soil her water if you give it to her. Have someone be there to offer her water every time they come.


I don't know if I'll have anyone in the area to check on her. Hmm... She might soil the water because she will be mad that we aren't here... I am considering having her boarded at a pet resort but it will cost $10 a night.
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
Hopeful_Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Country:
Location: Elk Grove, Ca

Postby Hopeful_Herper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:01 am

unless you are really tight on cash go for the pet store and she definitely needs someone to checkup on her every 3 or 4 days at the very least

leaving her alone for a week or two will leave you with a really nasty water bowl and possible illness contracted from the water
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:02 am

i agree with chai, and the water will get bad if left out like that really quick. I never leave litchies water unchanged for more than 2 days when im not at home.

pet resort sounds better to me, but its up to you.

not cleaning up the poop etc for a week or two is also a infection risk for your skink....
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:09 am

Those are all important things to think about. I think I will be going with boarding. I used to leave her with my Mom when I went on a trip but I don't have anyone around who knows how to take care of her since my Mom died :( I would take her with me if I could but we are probably already going to have to take the dogs (dog boarding is looking like it's going to cost 2 or 3 times as much). That and I'm not even sure what city we are traveling too yet. Laila's Dad was airlifted to a hospital in Birmingham late last night for an emergency blood change procedure...but he might be back at the hospital in Pensacola, FL soon...so we might be traveling back and forth. This sucks.

Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:35 am

Sorry about your father in law and I wish we could help! I would go ahead and just have the skink boarded. Like others have said, Thora could contract something while you are gone. The cost of boarding will be cheaper than a vet visit,
Cay T.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:36 am

Well said. :D
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
Hopeful_Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Country:
Location: Elk Grove, Ca

Postby Hopeful_Herper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:43 am

boarding will be best for all
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

-Mark Twain
User avatar
Roheryn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:04 pm
Country:
Location: Netherlands

Postby Roheryn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 am

Sorry to hear Justin, hope he gets well soon. If I were you I would go for the boarding plan for your skink. No worries on top of the ones you already have...
each day's a gift, not a given right.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:35 am

I may already be too late to input, but if the skink has heat and has had water recently, two weeks doesn't really mean much. If she soils her water, she just won't drink it. Normally I'd say cut the heat too, but chances are she's eaten recently, so she'll need the heat to digest whatever is left.

Also, any chance you could leave her with Ray?

I'd be worried about boarding a reptile with other unquarantined reptiles. This seems like a bigger danger to me than leaving it safe at home for 2 weeks. Reptile store issues like mites, RIs and parasites travel quickly if the reptiles aren't quarantined. However, if it's a good place with good, knowledgable people, then it might be worth the money to not have to worry.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Fatal_S wrote:I may already be too late to input, but if the skink has heat and has had water recently, two weeks doesn't really mean much. If she soils her water, she just won't drink it. Normally I'd say cut the heat too, but chances are she's eaten recently, so she'll need the heat to digest whatever is left.

Also, any chance you could leave her with Ray?

I'd be worried about boarding a reptile with other unquarantined reptiles. This seems like a bigger danger to me than leaving it safe at home for 2 weeks. Reptile store issues like mites, RIs and parasites travel quickly if the reptiles aren't quarantined. However, if it's a good place with good, knowledgable people, then it might be worth the money to not have to worry.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

+1 :D
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Just a general observation that there is often lots posts just agreeing or restating something that was said earlier, and I'm not certain that everyone agreeing with the consensus has experience relevant to the situation / question.

Some good points have been brought up, but please remember that if you don't have any experience or anything relevant to add (other than just agreeing with something previously said) it might not be worth posting. :? I know I'm being nitpicky, but tons of posts just agreeing with something that 'sounds' right isn't really helpful and generally if enough people agree then it is accepted as truth rather than just something that sounds right...
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:54 am

Katrina wrote:Just a general observation that there is often lots posts just agreeing or restating something that was said earlier, and I'm not certain that everyone agreeing with the consensus has experience relevant to the situation / question.

Some good points have been brought up, but please remember that if you don't have any experience or anything relevant to add (other than just agreeing with something previously said) it might not be worth posting. :? I know I'm being nitpicky, but tons of posts just agreeing with something that 'sounds' right isn't really helpful and generally if enough people agree then it is accepted as truth rather than just something that sounds right...


:nod: Excellent point Kat.

As Mel said, I don't think that boarding is necessary at all in this case, and poses its own risks. I would have double checked lights, timers and temps, added fresh water and just left them be.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:36 am

Thank you everyone! Someone was nice enough to offer to watch her for me :) I haven't been on here in a week because I didn't have Internet access while I was gone.
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 am

Excellent :D

I hope everything is ok~
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:05 am

Everything is OK. And my Father-in-law survived. I'm still in shock at how close it was. I'll post about it in the off-topic section...

Nae wrote:Excellent :D

I hope everything is ok~
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:35 am

Glad to hear things are better and Thora got a sitter!
Cay T.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 176 guests