Substrate/bedding?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kendall_fraser
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 5:52 pm
Country:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Substrate/bedding?

Postby Kendall_fraser » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:26 pm

What does everyone use for substrate?
Where do you buy it? (very limited supply stores here, looking for good places online)

I thought I had this solved but then Yoshi decided it was a good idea to eat his Aspen shavings, it's only tiny ones, once in a while. Assuming this isn't healthy for him, I have to switch it as soon as I can.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Where are you located?
Brad
Kendall_fraser
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 5:52 pm
Country:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Postby Kendall_fraser » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Sorry I guess that information might help.
Nova Scotia...or East Coast of Canada.
MissMaaM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:44 pm
Country:
Location: Santa Clarita, CA

Postby MissMaaM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:38 am

I used aspen for the first year and a half of my Indo's life. But then after issues arose with his shedding, I eventually found that I needed a more humidity friendly substrate. I'm currently using a mis between nature's bedding and coco husk. However, I can tell he's getting some coco husk in his mouth, so I might be switching it up again next change.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 am

I just use good ol' shaved aspen from PetsMart. :)
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
Kendall_fraser
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 5:52 pm
Country:
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Postby Kendall_fraser » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:01 am

Yeah it's not that he is getting a few peices when he eats. This is him deciding it looks like food and eating it on it's own.

The only bedding I can find in local stores is zoo med's jungle floor which is made from chipped fir tree bark. I feel like I read never to use fir tree anything. Is this true? or would this stuff be safe?
User avatar
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
Country:
Location: San Diego, California

Postby James Wilson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:53 pm

There are many different opinions on the subject of substrate. I have personally tried many of them myself, and I have found that artificial-turf has proven to be the most effective substrate for me.
James Wilson
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:49 am

cypress mulch
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:00 pm

i use aspen but i do want to change, although not because they are eating it. thats strange. I just hate it getting stuck in eyelids and mouths x-x
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
Country:
Location: San Diego, California

Postby James Wilson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:44 pm

SapphireTigress wrote:i use aspen but i do want to change, although not because they are eating it. thats strange. I just hate it getting stuck in eyelids and mouths x-x


As I mentioned I am a user of astro turf, but I used to occasionally use aspen bedding years ago. I used the kind that was more sliver like rather than wood shaving like. It was nice, but I whittnessed a couple cases of long sharp pieces getting in skinks nostrils, and I had a buddy that had a really nasty case where it worked its way into one of his skinks eyes. As a result of these things, I stopped using it, and went back to my artificial turf.

However, I recently decided to give aspen another try (this time in the form of aspen shavings) in a special circumstances situation, with my gravid female so she could have some “nesting" materials, and so that the babies could have a place to hide if they were born when I was not home. It turned out I was home, so no worries there. That being said, the mother ended up eating lots of the shavings. I did not notice until I removed the shavings when I was switching her back to her regular turf. While digging through all of the shavings I noticed her feces had aspen shavings inbedded in them. A couple days ago she made a really big poop that was filled with large pieces of aspen. Today she made another nice poop after a nice treat of jackfruit, and there are still some aspen shavings in there (see photo). I will never use Aspen shavings or bedding with bts again. as far as I am concerned, it is snake bedding, and I have donated my large sack of aspen to a local reptile rescue so they can use it with their snakes.

Image
James Wilson

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 292 guests